.79.

Chris POV

The rest of our first day is spent with Opal showing Ma around the Inn. A sense of pride radiating off my mother as if Opal was her own child, witnessing her greatest accomplishments.

  Then, we decided to take Ma down to the Riverside Arts Market. Reliving the day of our semi first date, where I had found her the opal earrings months ago. 

 And to close the day out, dining on Mila's delicious chicken parmesan.

"I am feeling my age," my mother admits as we sit in the library of Magnolia. She lets out a yawn, attempting to hide it behind her hand. "If it's okay with the two of you, I think I'll call it a night."

I glance at the grandfather clock that sits in the corner of the room, noticing it's only 8 pm. "Are you feeling okay? It's still kind of early."

"Just tired, sweetheart," she attempts to assure me.

"We can call it a night," I say, looking over to Opal somewhat seeing the disappointment on her face. She shifts a bit in her seat, coming to the edge as if she's about to stand.

"No, you don't have to do that," she waves me off as she stands from the leather wing chair.

"Here, I'll walk you up."

"Good grief, Christopher," she sighs and rolls her eyes. "Take a hint. I'm trying to give you two some alone time." She walks over to Opal before giving her a kiss on top of her head. Opal hums in response.

  I stand to give her a hug. "Night, Ma." She kisses me on the cheek before giving me a wink, heading up the stairs to her room.

"I don't know whether to say I'm sorry or tell her thank you," I laugh out as I walk over to join Opal on the couch. "Are you staying here tonight?"

  She shakes her head with a frown. "No. I wanted to give you two extra time together. I was worried I might hog you too much if I'm on property."

  I take her hand in my own. "That's nice of you, but you do realize we're only here for you, right?"

  Looking back at her I can tell I'm not the only one confused this evening. "This isn't like an actual vacation, sweetheart." She opens her mouth to argue with me. "It is, but it isn't. Let me explain." She shifts her body towards mine a bit more. "Yes, Ma is on vacation away from Boston. But the whole reason she chose here, is for you. For both of us to spend more time with you." 

  Opal hangs her head slightly, causing me to notice a familiar sight among her body language. I let go of her hand to caress her cheek, in which she gently melts into. "We both love you and want to be with you as much as possible. So, yes, we want you staying here with us if that's possible." 

  "I wasn't planning on it, so I've not packed anything." She contemplates how to rectify the situation. "I could stay at my place tonight, pack a few things, and then bring them over in the morning."

  "Or," I begin, "we could go pack now and bring you back tonight."

  "What's one night, Chris? We've spent two weeks apart." 

  I pull her up from her position on the couch, placing her directly on my lap. "Because I want you as close to me, for as long as possible." I nuzzle her hair and neck before placing light kisses along her jaw. "Even if it a yard's length away." She giggles at my joke. "What do you say, Ope?"

  "I say, you're crazy and I love you." She holds my face in the palm of her hands as she turns towards me a bit more from my lap.

  I cock my head to the side slightly. "So, is that a yes?"