.32.

Opal POV

I did it. I really did it. I just vomited out all of my family's deep dark secrets. Admitting where my brokenness comes from. I'd never shared the intimate details with any guy before now. I'm also pretty positive if it wasn't for the dream, I wouldn't have shared it with Chris just yet either.

His reaction stunned me. I half expected him to tuck tail and run away as fast as he possibly could. I did not expect his openness in accepting me. But, it wasn't just an acceptance was it? I could've easily taken his words as an effort to get me to calm down, to stop crying. But when he held my face in the palms of his hands, rested his head on mine, begged me to look at him and see all of his desire something told me this wasn't just him spouting off words. The real deal breaker though, were his own tears falling from his deep blue eyes as he announces that he wants all of my good and all of my bad. It's then that I realize this isn't surface deep anymore. This is more than tiny flirtations and calming anxiety.

"My heart broke twenty-six years ago, and it's never fully recovered." It's truly the first time I've said it aloud, and it makes so much sense to me now.

"Let me put it back together, Opal. Give me that chance, baby. Please." I don't speak at his request but continue to look back at him. His eyes are piercing back at mine, going from one to the other on a search, attempting to find the answer behind them.

I only have one action in mind to answer his question. Lifting my chin I brush my lips across his own as I hear him exhale a breath.

This kiss is so similar to our first, tender and sweet. It sends a flutter through my heart as his lips move against my own. I can tell he's putting forth so much effort to hang onto his own control, not wanting to rush this moment and turn it into something more. I appreciate his struggle so much that it actually makes me smile against his lips, causing his own lips to turn up as well.

"Hmm," he hums lowly before bringing his lips back to mine for a small peck. "Let's get you back to bed." He notices the furrow of my brow and the frown that has overtaken my smile at his persistence. "We can pick this back up in a few hours," he chuckles, pushing my hair off of my forehead before taking my hand, leading me back to the comfort of the bed.

Reluctantly I climb in, laying on my side facing him as he pulls the covers up and over my shoulder, essentially tucking me in. "Stay," I request, surprised at myself. "Just until I fall back asleep."

Chris nods his head before pulling a chair up, bringing it closer to the side of the bed. He sits, immediately leaning over and running his hand along my hair soothingly. I can't help but close my eyes from the delicate action. I feel his soft lips on my head once more, bringing a faint smile across my own lips. "It's alright, sweetheart. Sleep. I'll be here. I'm not going anywhere." His words become quieter as I feel myself drifting off, my heart feeling lighter than it has in years.

~~~~~

Startled awake by the sound of a phone ringing I blindly reach over to the nightstand to grab my cell. I pry open one eye to see the screen. It takes another moment for me to realize it's not my phone that's ringing. I turn my head to the left to find Chris still sitting in the chair, his feet propped on the side of my bed, his head hanging towards his chest. I sit up on my elbows. "Chris." I call out. No response. "Chris!" His head jerks up, spooked he drops his feet off the bed. I can't help but giggle. "Are you alright?" he asks still attempting to wake up.

"Yeah," I answer. "But your phone is ringing. I think you left it in your room." It's then that I realize my room door is still open and had been through our discussion last night as well.

He darts out of my room and into his own. I can't believe he sat in that chair, asleep for the last few hours.

I take this moment to look back at my phone realizing it's already nine o'clock. Walking towards the window I stretch out my limbs, along with a yawn. When I pull back the curtains I see that it's going to be a dreary day, the sun covered by gray clouds just waiting to burst at any given moment.