.64.

Chris POV

   At shift end I rush home in order to get a few hours of sleep. I'm unsure how I've managed to keep this trip a secret from Opal, especially considering I'm not the only one knowing that I'm coming down. I love the fact that Pops said he would happily join us for Valentine's dinner, telling him that I'll cover the bill as long as he doesn't spill the beans. "Free food?" he said. "Done." 

  I love and appreciate the relationship the two of them have with one another. I know too many people who feel that once you hit a certain age you should no longer have such a close relationship with your family. The term "leave and cleave" comes to mind for most when they enter a relationship. I respectfully, disagree.  

  Are there toxic family relationships or dynamics? Most definitely. Is Opal and Pops one of them? Not even close. He doesn't guilt her into being around him, it's a genuine thing for her to want to spend time with him. He encourages her to listen to her heart even when all she does is give him push back. No, their relationship isn't toxic by any means. It's actually one that many should strive to have with their family. I can only hope to have this type of relationship with my grandchildren in the future. 

  'Work on a wife first, Chris,' I remind myself as I collapse into my bed.

  Ten hours later, four for sleep and six for driving, I'm pulling up to Pops small home, with just one hour left until the big surprise. Tossing the car in park I grab my luggage from the backseat and rush to the door, knocking.

  "Officer!" Pops says as he pulls the door open and brings me in for a hug. 

  "Mr. Lucas," I say returning the embrace. "Good to see you again, sir."

  "You know better than that," he scoffs. "It's Pops and I won't answer to anything else."

  I chuckle, "yes, sir."  He welcomes me into his home asking if I'd like anything to drink. "No, sir. I'm good. If I could maybe take a quick shower before throwing on this suit that would be great."

  Pops motions for me to follow him down the small hallway before stopping at the bathroom door. "Clean towels are there. I'll go start getting ready myself. What time did you say we need to leave?"

  "If we leave by six then we should get there just before our reservation time slot."

  "And she has no idea?" he asks. I shake my head while smiling. "Not a clue. Thanks to Mila everything has gone under Opal's radar."

  "Perfect."

  "I need to make one quick stop if that's alright with you," I ask Pops once we meet again in his living room. "I think we've got time."

  "You're my driver tonight, officer. Wherever you need to go, you can. I'm just along for the ride," he reminds me with a pat to my back. "Hold on." He stops me, moving around to face me head on. Lifting his hands he straightens out my tie and gives me a wink and a pat on my chest once it's in place. The action making me understand his care for his granddaughter even more than before.

  I had done a bit of research before coming down and had placed a pick up order of roses so that I wouldn't come empty handed. But knowing Opal the way I do now, I'm sure me being here would be enough of a gift for her, but little does she know, that's not all she's getting. 

  Pops keeps a grip on the flowers through the rest of the ride to Magnolia. We talk about the start of his treatments in which he tells me that so far he's been handling them well with few side effects. A new scan coming up in about three weeks will let them know if it's helping at all. 

  I turn down the tree covered drive and start to see the Inn come into view. I'm starting to think my car could find its own way here without a driver. A sense of peace envelops me as I pull up. Before we get out I shoot a quick text to Mila, thankful that she'd given me her number to help organize all of this, and wait for the go ahead. 

  I help Pops out of the car, taking the flowers from him, and help guide him onto the porch. Once he says he's good I stand back and let him walk in. I hear Opal's surprised voice. 

 "It's Valentine's Day. I had to spend it with my best girl." Dang Pops, steal my line why don't ya.

  "I appreciate the thought, old man, but how did you even get here?" 

  I stand beside the door with my back to the outside wall, waiting, and trying my hardest not to laugh out loud. "The strangest thing happened. This kind young man came and picked me up. I told him he could just drop me off but he insisted he stay and join us."

  I hear Opal question him a bit more, knowing that my entrance is coming up. "Did you forget your meds? What young man? Jameson or Anthony?"

  I push off the wall and walk through the door. "No, that would be me," I tell her as I take another step in. Her face is priceless as her jaw drops and eyes flit between Pops and I. I can see her eyes are beginning to well as Pops tells her to come to me. 

  She walks quickly to me and I catch her with my right arm, the left still holding the roses. I hold her close as I lift her a bit, her heels coming off of the floor. "What are you doing here?" 

  I release a chuckle. "Well, I was going to say have dinner with my best girl, but Pops kinda stole my line." I set her back on her feet carefully before she places a simple kiss on my lips. 

  "Follow me then," she says before taking Pops hand in hers, with the flowers in her other, I rest my hand on the small of her back.  

  I pull her chair out for her but choose not to sit down immediately. I lean over just a bit, my lips over the shell of her ear, "your butt really does look better in red," I whisper faintly.  The flush across her cheeks tell me all I need to know as I take the seat next to her. 

*Sorry, it's short, but I thought it would be cute to see from Chris' perspective too.*