.24.

Opal POV

   After hanging out with Pops for a bit, in hopes that the doctor would come by, I decide it's time to head back to the Inn. I was going to work today for a few hours and then head home for the first time in days.

   Just as I'm about to say my goodbyes the door opens. "Mr. Lucas," the nurse starts, "Dr. Wagner won't be by today but he's asked that we keep you a bit longer."

   "Do I have a say in the matter?" he sasses the blonde. 

   "I'm afraid not. He has you down for first thing tomorrow though."

   I look over at him, laying in the bed, wires everywhere. "Don't give them any trouble Pops. Just do what they say."

   "Not like I have a choice," he reminds me with sad eyes. 

   "Not if I have anything to say about it," I admit.  "I'll be back in the morning, but call if you need anything." He pulls me in by my hand, hugging me and giving a sweet kiss to my cheek.

   "Go call that boy, Ope." 

   "Again, so demanding!" I call back over my shoulder.

   As I'm walking down the hospital corridor I realize I never did respond to Chris' first message from earlier. I pull my cell out once I've reached the elevators, waiting for them to come back to our floor. 

Chris- Good morning, beautiful. I wish I hadn't had to leave so early this morning. I'd give anything to have seen you once more.  Be sure to check in on AnnaBeth, she seemed frazzled when I left.

   Me being me, I bypass the sweet words in the beginning and become overwhelmingly concerned with the front desk at the Inn. I knew I should've stopped in on my way to the hospital.

   The fifteen minute ride has my mind scattered everywhere. Why would AnnaBeth be frazzled? Did something happen during the night? Was someone being rude about checking out today? My anxiety is threatening to take hold and since I'm alone in my car I have to find other ways to bring myself back down. 

   Turning on the radio I seek through a few stations, trying desperately to find a station that's  not just a bunch of talking, but actual music. Thinking that if I can find something else to occupy my mind then I'll be able to bring myself back on my own. Just as I'm pulling up to a red light I take one more shot at locating a station and breathe a sigh of relief as music sweeps through my car. I need to close my eyes and let myself breathe, so once the light turns green I turn into the nearest gas station.

   Once the car is in park I lean my head back on the seat and close my eyes. I bring my mind to focus on the song rather than the tightness in my chest or the worry racking my brain.

I've been spending all my time
Just thinking about ya
I don't know what to do
I think I'm fallin' for you
I've been waiting all my life
And now I found ya
I don't know what to do
I think I'm fallin' for you
I'm fallin' for you

  Of course it would be something like this, but I can't say I'm upset by it. I welcome the blue eyes staring back at me behind my closed eyes. I let myself relax as I swear I can still feel his arms wrapped around me, his chin resting on top of my head, the faint kisses he sprinkled over my hair.  I can tell this will be one of my new mechanisms for dealing with my episodes.

   I miss Chris already and it's only been a few hours. How much more will it be when it becomes days, weeks? I shake my head, trying to rid myself of more worrisome thoughts. "Time to face the music," I say as I toss the car into drive again, pulling back onto the highway.