.161.

Chris POV

"So, you took a bullet for my brother?" Tinsley asks, changing the direction of her chair to face me head on.

I laugh lightly, shaking my head. "I wouldn't say it was actually meant for your brother. The guy was just a really lousy shot. I mean, he actually shot his own guy while trying to get me."

She pushes her plate away, resting her elbow on the glass table. "Still, that's a pretty selfless job," she reminds me, setting her head in the palm of her hand, her curls wrapping around her fingers as she holds her head up. "Ever thought about getting out?"

"No, not really." I take another sip of my drink, still nursing the first bottle.

"Not really?" she parrots back to me. "Doesn't sound very convincing." She leans back in her chair again, crossing her tanned legs. "What would make you give it up?"

'Three hundred miles,' I think to myself. "Not sure I've found a reason yet. Would you ever want to give up your world travels?" I ask with a small grin, flipping the question back to her.

"It's hard to get the idea of a family out of my mind, but it's probably not ideal to travel the world with a baby strapped to your chest or back. And most guys don't really want to be the one to follow a woman around," she replies, giving me a sassy, but knowing look. "I suppose if he was really wanting to be a dad then the kids could stay with him while I continue gallivanting the world."

"Find the right person and that probably wouldn't matter to them, I suppose," I say pointedly, looking down at the bottle in my hand, aimlessly pulling at the wrapping on it. "But, me personally, I want a woman that wants to be present for her children." 

  Here's hoping that statement causes her to back off a bit.

  I realize quickly, it's fallen on deaf ears.

Tinsley casts a glance towards the back door before leaning up, resting her hand on my knee. "Looks like they're a bit occupied. Do you want to get out of here and go get a drink? Maybe talk a bit more," she pauses, her thumb rubbing against my jeans, "freely without the ears of my brother around?"

I look at the amount of bottles sitting just in front of her space alone and know that's not a smart idea even if I'm the one driving. "Actually, I need to get going. And I think it best you stay here with Spence tonight."

She scoots to the edge of her chair as I'm trying to get out of mine. "I'd much rather stay with you."

I lick my lips and swallow the hard lump that's formed. I push my chair back further out of her reach. "While I find a certain amount of confidence sexy, being this forward is actually a complete turn off. Have a good night, Tinsley." I hear her huff out a groan as I make my way to the back door.

As soon as I slide it open I hear the words that stop me in my tracks. "And keeping a promise to Opal."

I see Laura's face in complete shock, that I'm sure matches my own. "What promise to Opal?" I ask, taking one step towards the couple.

Spencer's hand reaches up to massage his forehead before turning around, facing me, his arms crossed against his chest. "Opal asked me to introduce you to someone that I thought could take your mind off of her," he says quietly, even toned.

"Have you lost your mind?" Laura yells from her spot in the middle of the kitchen.

My jaw sits tight, my stance becoming a little straighter. I'm no longer relaxed. "I know that meth head hit you wicked hard yesterday, but you can't be serious."

Laura paces the kitchen for a moment before grabbing the hand towel from the counter. "I can't believe you!" she yells, whipping the towel at him. It's hard enough that he actually winces as it hits his bicep.