.147.

Chris POV

  Opening up the Uber app I work through quickly trying to get a ride to the hotel. 

  "You didn't drive?" she asks, still standing next to me.

  "No. I flew down." I click through a couple more spots before securing a car. "Couldn't actually cancel the tickets and they wouldn't let me change destinations so it worked out well that Rae was scheduled for today."

  I notice a bench off to the right and start to make my way to it, only to be stopped by Opal who grabs at my arm, turning me towards her. "Okay, what do you mean? Canceled rooms? Flights that couldn't be canceled?"

  That's when I realize it. 

  I look over the top of her head, unwilling to meet her eyes for fear of my gut reaction. I lick my lips and take a deep breath before answering her questions. "You forgot."

  Her grip is still holding strong to my forearm as her voice becomes  more annoyed. "Forgot what?"

   It takes everything in me to look her in the eye as I feel mine to begin filling with my own tears. "Tomorrow was suppose to be our wedding day."

  She drops my arm quickly. "Oh," Opal says quietly. 

  I can't help but scoff at her response as I continue my earlier trek to the bench. I release a loud and long breath that I'd been holding since before the baby had been born. "Chris," she whispers, stepping closer to me.

  I hold my hand up to stop her from coming any further. "I can't, Opal."

  She stops, standing with her arms crossed. "You can't what?"

  "I'm not doing this right now. I'm exhausted and can't figure out which version of Opal I'm going to get when I open my mouth." It's harsh, but if this continues at this moment, it will get a lot worse. 

  "I didn't forget, Chris." 

  I lean over, my elbows on my thighs as I rub at my forehead. "I'm not talking about this right now."

  "You won't even let me tell you-"

  "No, Opal!" I raise my voice, thankful for an empty courtyard at midnight. "No. I'm not going to let you tell me anything right now. You've had two weeks to tell me everything and anything and you chose not to. So, no! I'm not letting you do it now when I'm exhausted and I know I will say something that will hurt you." My phone pings an alert, letting me know the car is close. I get up and start walking down the sidewalk to meet it.

  Opal reaches for my hand as I walk past her. I snatch it back immediately. I keep walking until I reach the crosswalk. Looking back I notice Opal still standing, swiping at her cheeks. My heart aches because I never want to hurt her. 

  The car pulls up next to me. I open the door but pause. "Opal!" I call out, causing her to turn and face me. "Be careful getting home." She gives me a small nod as I duck into the backseat. 

  I lean my head back against the seat, taking a deep breath, closing my eyes. I stay this way for most of the ride until I feel my phone vibrate. Fishing it out of my pocket I'm shocked to see a message from Opal. 

  "I'm sorry."

  I'm relatively positive she isn't talking about the break-up, but about our recent interaction. 

  "We can talk tomorrow."

  "Thank you" she responds.

  Once the driver drops me off at the hotel I make my way to my room, collapsing onto my bed still fully clothed. I take my cell out once more, swiping to her message. 

  "Did you get home alright?" I ask.

  "Yes. Good night, Chris."

  "Good night, Opal."

    There are many things that have changed for me over the last couple of weeks, but the most important thing still remains. I am emphatically still in love with Opal Lillian Lucas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  The sound of my phone brings me out of the very light sleep I managed to find last night. Rolling over towards the nightstand I grab the cell, seeing a message.

"Meet me at the carriage house at noon?"

  A quick glance tells me it's 9 AM now.

  "I can be there earlier if you want."

  "I'll be in my office. Just let me know when you're on your way."

  I give a thumbs up rather than typing out a message. 

  Climbing out of bed I go directly to my duffle bag, pulling out clothes for the day. I toss them on the bed before starting the shower. I jump in before the water gets hot, groaning at the cold.

 I shower, letting my thoughts run rampant in preparation of seeing her again. I know that she deserves a certain amount of grace as she struggles coming to terms with the loss of Pops. I'm willing to give her all the time in the world that she needs. But complete cut off of contact like before isn't something I can handle. I need to know that she's okay. 

  Then there's her damn father. The jackass, that may very well be a spawn of Satan, knew exactly what he was doing by saying each and every word to her, even threatening whether or not our marriage would happen. The icing on the cake being that he needed to get back to his family. 

  She may have had everyone believe that she'd built a wall around her heart and no longer allowed his actions to have an effect on her, but I knew better. I knew deep in my heart that he would cause her to revert back to all of her original heartache from before we met if he was ever given the chance to see her again. 

  By the time I'm getting into another Uber I have no idea which direction this meeting will go. I tell the driver I need to make one stop before hand and that I'll tip him generously.  On our way to the first stop I let Opal know I'm on my way.

  "Be there in 30."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opal POV

  I close out all of the open tabs on my computer and grab my cell phone. I lock my office door behind me before checking in with AnnaBeth.

  "I have a meeting. You can call me if there's an emergency, but other than that I'd rather not be interrupted." She nods in agreement and I walk down the hall and out onto the back patio, my baby blue heels clicking along the way. 

  Unlocking the door to the carriage house I step in, realizing it's been a while since I was last here. I think back to the trip Chris made to surprise me for my birthday as my eyes fall onto the painting of us in front of the Broadway theater. My fingertips softly run over the painting, my stomach developing butterflies of nervousness.

  Life has really derailed recently.

  A knock on the door startles me, bringing me back to reality. Rather than call out that it's unlocked, I walk over and open it. 

  "Hey," he says, holding two coffee cups from Cafe Shay. 

  I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't sink when he didn't greet me in his usual way, leaving out the 'gorgeous' that normally follows his 'hey.'

  "Uh," I shake my head a little, trying to regroup from my thoughts, "come in." I step out of the way, allowing him entrance. 

  He walks in, heading directly for the small two seated table near the tiny kitchen area. He takes a seat, placing one coffee cup across from him. 

  I guess we're diving right in.