.20.

Chris POV

I knew exactly what I was doing with answering Opal's question. Yes, I believe I'm meant to be an officer. I also truly believe I'm meant to be right here, next to her, right now.

She shy's away a bit after I tap her nose with my finger, suddenly showing a great deal of interest in the meal that's been placed in front of us. I can't help but watch her as she fidgets with her silverware and napkin, trying to get everything the way she wants it. She thinks I don't realize that it's just a mechanism to ignore me, or how flustered I've made her again today.

   We join the rest of the wedding party in idle chitchat through the rest of the meal. I finally excuse myself to go speak with the guys from the academy, following behind Jameson.

   Within five minutes I've learned that I'm the only single one left in the group, most already have multiple children, and that two others from our class have lost their lives in the line of duty. Obviously that hits home the hardest.

   I'm in the middle of a conversation with Paul, he's married with two kids and one on the way, when I feel a tap on my right shoulder. When I turn around I don't see who I was hoping for, rather it's one of the women that were watching me during the ceremony.

   "Hi," I start off with. What else do you do when some random person taps you out of the blue?

   "I wanted to compliment you on those moves on the dance floor," she says. I give a modest nod and a small thanks, ready to return to my conversation.

   I start to turn away from her when she rests her hand on my arm this time. "I'm Alexis." She puts her hand out for me to take. "Nice to meet you," I say as I give her hand a quick shake, again ready to return to my friend. "Wanna dance," she asks without releasing my hand.

   She's moderately attractive; brown hair, green eyes, athletic build. But she's not Opal. And even if Opal turns me down another twenty times I'd welcome it over even one dance with this woman.

   "I don't think so," I tell her. "Can I have my hand back?"

   "The offer stands," she says leaning in closer, "vertical or horizontal, your choice." She finally drops my hand and saunters off.

  Add that to the list of oddest pick up lines.

   I turn back to face Paul, but my line of sight is caught by another brunette who appears to have just watched the encounter between Alexis and I.

   I watch Opal for a moment, but can't quite get a read on her. Her gaze drifting to the floor as she takes a step back. Before I can take a step towards her Laura and Rae have grabbed her and begin to pull her to the dance floor.
~~~~~

   The reception continues with all of the traditions, father-daughter dance, mother-son dance, cake cutting.

   When Jameson tosses the garter every other guy moves back and out of the way, leaving me alone. Obviously I catch it, but not before I give Jameson a very questioning look.

   It's not until Lily goes to toss her bouquet that I realize how ruthless women can be. Opal attempts to hide towards the back, even though Rae is pushing her to move further up front.  You can tell Lily is trying to line the toss up to land in her best friend's arms.

   Imagine the knot that forms in my stomach when a girl jumps right in front of Opal. I watch as Alexis catches the flowers.

The knot is not near as painful as seeing the forlorn look on Opal's face when the DJ announces that the man and woman who caught the garter and bouquet will be sharing a dance alongside the bride and groom. My own disappointment not evident on my face, as I've learned to keep my emotions in check. However, even Lily and Jameson look unamused as they realize their plan failed and now has consequences.