.54.

Chris POV

  Sitting at my parent's kitchen table, with Opal next to me, excites me. She seems at ease around both my mom and dad, but especially my mom. I want to tell my mom how big of a deal this is for Opal, but I know it's not my place.

  "What's on the agenda for you two today?" mom asks as she looks between Opal and I.

  Opal shrugs her shoulders, looking over at me. "I'm just along for the ride," she answers.

  "We probably should exchange gifts soon," I mention to her.

  "You both do that and I'm gonna take your dad breakfast in bed, give you some time." Mom moves to make dad's coffee before leaving with a cup and cinnamon rolls in hand.

  "Gifts?" Opal asks with a smile that reaches her eyes.

  "Gifts." Standing up, I take her hand in mine and lead her back to the living room.

  "So, technically your jammies is part of your gift," she admits as she takes a seat on the floor resting her back against the sofa. "But here's two others." She passes them to me.

  "You should go first," I offer but she shakes her head no. "Fine." I rip through the red and green plaid wrapping paper. I attempt to lift the lid off of the box before I realize it's been taped shut. "You taped it?"

  "Yup."

  I turn it over, ready to run my fingers through to break the tape. Then I realize it's not normal tape, but packing tape. "Seriously?" She smiles widely. "I need my knife." I reach over to the table where I emptied my pockets yesterday and grab my pocket knife. Once all four sides have been separated I lift the lid. Pulling back tissue paper I find the most hideous hoodie I have seen in all of my life. "The Jags? Seriously?!" I look up at my girlfriend in disbelief, but I'm met with howls of laughter. "This'll be great kindling for a fire when the snow comes." I toss the box as far away from me as I can.

  "Stop!" she says between laughs. "There's a point to it, I promise." I watch as she gets up and goes to get the box. "It's going to go home with me."

  "Then how is it a gift for me?"

  "One, I want you to wear it so it smells like you. Two, your gift is under it ya big baby." She lifts the black hoodie that has a Jaguar head with a teal tongue out of the box before handing it back to me.

  At this point I notice a second layer of tissue paper. First I see a pair of black socks. "Interesting," I say.

  "Turn them over."

  I do as I'm told to find one sock that says Do Not Disturb and the other saying Officer Off Duty. "Nice!" I lean up to give Opal a peck on the lips. "Keep going," she tells me. So I kiss her again, and again. "Not what I meant," she laughs.

  Next I see a Thin Blue Line sign with EVANS under the flag and my established date that I became an officer. "This is beautiful, Opal. Really."

  "I actually brought one for your parents to hang here too."

  I kiss her again, thinking how incredibly thoughtful she is to bring a gift to my parents when she hasn't met them until now. She passes the second box over to me. It's a bit larger, but not overly heavy.

  I go ahead and keep my knife next to me on the off chance she's taped this box too. Once the paper is off I see I was correct in my assumption. "I had to with this one because it kept popping back open."

  "A likely story," I say as I cut through the tape again. This time I don't want to toss the box away from me. I pull out a soft New England Patriots blanket. As I open it up further I see that it has the dates and scores of each Super Bowl win. "This is awesome, babe. I love it."

  "I thought we could use it when we cuddle," she says as I continue taking it all in.

  "Thank you, babe," I say before kissing her again. "I love you." Again, she doesn't return the statement. I'll give her time, I'm in no rush. "Your turn."

  I go over to our Christmas tree. I pick up two items from under the tree and a card that has been sitting on the tree with Opal's name on it.

  "This one first," I say before passing her a small gift bag. I watch as she pulls the green tissue paper out of the bag. Next she removes the small blue velvet jewelry box.

~~~~~

Opal POV

  I nervously chew on my lip as I hold the blue velvet box in my hand. It looks familiar, but I can't be sure if it's the same one I saw in his apartment. Surely he wouldn't be proposing to me this soon when I haven't even told him 'I love you,' or with a ring that was purchased and meant for someone else.

  My eyes dart from the box to Chris' face. He looks so excited that it almost scares me. "Are you gonna open it," he asks, realizing my hesitation.

"Just admiring the box." I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit of relief when I opened it to see a necklace rather than a ring. A beautiful gold chain that held an opal C charm on it. "Chris," I whisper. "This is stunning." I gingerly touch the delicate item.

  "Can I?" he asks, motioning to the necklace. I hand him the box and turn around, moving my hair over to my shoulder revealing my neck. He places it on my neck, clasping it in place. I turn back around for him to see it, resting right in the middle of my collarbone. "Perfect," he whispers, his fingers touching the jeweled charm brushing against my skin as well.

  "I love it. Thank you," I say softly. He gives me a sweet smile as he passes the next gift to me.

  "Now, I had a little bit of help with this one," he admits. "When you see it you'll understand."

  This gift looks like a child wrapped it and I can't hold back the giggle that escapes my lips. "Yes, I wrapped it myself. I'm happy to offer you lessons," he jokes.

  "Oh my gosh." I pull out the most beautiful champagne colored dress I've ever seen. "This is...wow."

  "Where's the camera? You're actually speechless."

  "It's beautiful!"

  "Laura told me what size you wear. I hope you don't mind. I just didn't want to run the risk of guessing wrong." I know he's somewhat questioning me through his statement.

  "It's fine, really. It's so fancy though." I really don't know where or when in the world I'd use something this nice.

  "Well, that's where this comes in." Chris passes me the envelope.

  Inside I discover two plane tickets to New York, along with two tickets to see Wicked for New Years Eve. I sit there, stunned, my eyes wide and mouth agape. "Uh...what, um, huh?" I stutter.

  Chris takes both of my hands in his. "I'm taking you to New York for New Years. We leave tomorrow. The dress is for you to wear to the show and dinner."

  "New York is a mad house at New Years."

  "I managed to find a room for us, in Times Square so if we want to just watch the ball drop from the hotel we can or we can be right in the middle of it," he tells me.

  "I don't know what to say," I admit. This is by far the most extravagant gift I've ever received. A year long relationship earned me a gift card. I've been with Chris for two months and he's gifted me a whole vacation.

  "I can't actually tell if that's a good thing or not. I'm having trouble reading you right now."

  I give my head a quick shake, attempting to pull myself back into the moment. "I'm thrilled!" I shriek just a moment before launching myself at him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

  "Okay," he chuckles. "That's better."  He moves his hands to rub along my back.