.165.

"Ope," Lily whispers, her hand finding my shoulder as they begin to shake.  I shake my head quickly, doing my best to push down the ache that's beginning to form in my chest, threatening to send me spiraling into an anxiety attack. 

  I slip the Sonic coupon from my finger, sliding it into the side pocket of my purse.

  "Why do you have a paper ring? And why did it make you react that way?"

  I know she means well. I know I should just open my mouth and tell her. And yet I can't. 

  It's one of the only things that was just between Chris and I. Our secret. 

  The memory of wearing it at breakfast with everyone, listening to Laura babble on about the engagement and wedding plans. But no one noticed except Chris. My stomach flutters at the memory as I feel one tear begin to fall from the corner of my eye.

  Wiping at my eye quickly before turning to face her. "Let's go see what's in this box, okay?" I ask, my eyes pleading with her to let this moment go. I don't wait for a response and push open the car door.

  I go straight to the front desk and mention my purpose for being there. After a quick look over their records and a glance at my identification, I'm led into an area with multiple locks all around the room. The attendant takes my key and unlocks lock box 1004, pulling a box straight from the wall. 

  I feel Lily put her hand on my shoulder again, an attempt to comfort me. But let's face it, I have zero idea what could be in this box.

  Upon opening the box there are two envelopes. One simply has the word 'Will' typed out in large letters. The other envelope has Ope written in my Pop's cursive handwriting. 

  "I can take these with me?" I ask the male attendant. He assures me that I can since I'm on all of the paperwork. I turn on my heel and head back to Lily's car.

  I slide in immediately, waiting for her to start the car and begin the drive back to Magnolia. Instead, once behind the wheel she cranks the car but turns to stare at me. "What?" I ask, beginning to feel a little flustered.

  "Aren't you gonna open them?" she asks expectantly. 

  "With you? No. By myself? Yes."

  She huffs a large sigh, mumbling some nonsense under her breath but I'm not in the mood to deal with her Liliness right now. I do manage to catch the words ridiculous and absurd. I roll my eyes and motion for her to get the car rolling. 

  "You need to get home and shower before your hubby gets home. You stink," I tease her, trying to change the topic in front of us. I'm thankful she takes the bait.

  The few minute ride back to the Inn has me listening to her drone on about a new type of all natural deodorant that she's been trying. And by the time we're back I've been given a lesson on natural versus what I use and how harmful it is to my body. 

  I just nod along and let her continue talking, but I'm not really paying much attention.

Right as she pulls into a parking space I unbuckle and sling the door open. "Can you let me park?" she asks.

  "Nope. You gotta go. Let me run and get the cake so you can get home and get all prettied for your anniversary dinner. Okay?" I don't wait for a response, suddenly thankful that I'm wearing flats today and not my heels as I almost trip trying to get back to the kitchen. 

  Cake delivered, Lily gone, I flop into my desk chair and just sit there for a moment. My eyes once again falling on the photo from a year ago. The girl in that photo was terrified to just give in and let a man get to know her. The girl in that photo longed to be loved, but was just too afraid of getting hurt again. The girl in that photo has felt enough pain in the last year to last a lifetime.