.29.

Third person POV

   "Tell me something," Opal says. Her crying has ceased, but for the time being she doesn't make a move to leave the comfort of Chris' arms. "One of your odd random facts."

   Chris chuckles, amazed that she remembered. "Hmm...ah! A chef's hat has exactly one hundred pleats in it."

Opal sighs. "That's not really interesting."

"But do you know why there's 100 pleats?" She shakes her head. "To represent the 100 ways to cook an egg."

Chris feels a small shake come across his chest as Opal laughs slightly. "I'll have to see if Mila has heard that before."

Opal sits up a little straighter, bringing herself away from Chris' chest. He moves his hands to rest on the floor behind him, leaning back. "Do you know what the first hockey puck was made out of?"

Opal's eyes go wide as she realizes she does know the answer to his question. "Frozen cow poop," she barks out, suddenly finding herself in an uncontrollable fit of laughter.

   "That would be correct. Could you imagine being the one that has to go out and locate the frozen cow patty? Talk about a dirty, smelly job."  He reaches up and softly rubs her cheek with his hand. "I'm sorry."

   "There's no reason for you to apologize, Chris." Opal begins to attempt to stand, removing herself from Chris' lap. "I'm sorry for crushing your legs," she tries to laugh. He moves to stand as well. "If anything I should be apologizing to you," she continues. "I didn't mean for you to come all this way." She moves over to the mirror that rests on the wall beside the door, taking note of the puffiness of her eyes again. "It wasn't necessary."

   Chris watches her, knowing that her actions and expressions aren't matching her words. "I told you, I needed to know with my own eyes, that you were okay. And do you know what I've seen?" He's standing behind her now, looking at her through the mirror. "You're not okay, and honestly I'd be concerned if you were."

   "I don't have a choice, but to be okay," she tells him, moving further away from him. "To be honest, if you hadn't shown up I'd probably be downstairs in my office working."

   Chris turns towards her, but doesn't move in her direction. "Well, I did show up, you don't have to be okay, and you're not working today. Instead, I'd like it if we both got a little rest, and then I'm taking you out." His words come across very matter of fact, even though he knows she's going to argue with him.

   Chris is surprised when she looks back at him, her expression soft. "Like a date?" she whispers.

   Now, he moves towards her again, knowing she's not looking to have a fight. "Yes. Like a date. Like a dress nice, pick you up, hold your hand, kiss you goodnight, date." He feels his own heart rate rise as he says the words.

   His words sent a shiver up Opal's spine. "I suppose it might take my mind off of things for a bit," nonchalantly. Not quite the reaction Chris was hoping for, but she didn't say no.

   Chris glances down at the watch on his wrist. "It's 11 o'clock now. Would 5 o'clock work for you?"

   Opal nods her head, and wipes at her eyes that have begun to fill with tears again, for completely different reasons than the rest of the day. She moves closer to the door, ready to leave Chris to rest, taking herself back to the carriage house to sleep. Before her hand reaches the knob she feels a grip on her arm, turning her. Before she knows it she's enveloped in Chris' embrace once again. This time though, she doesn't cry, she doesn't whimper. Instead, she smiles and matches the warmth of his hug.