.88.

"So," Lily looks directly at me as she takes a corner seat on my couch. "How's married life?"

"What on earth are you going on about, crazy lady?" I roll my eyes although I can feel a blush begin to tinge my cheeks from her joke.

She crosses her arms in front of her as she puts her feet up on my coffee table, making herself completely at home, the same way she has our entire life. "Don't act like you two aren't playing house like a regular old married couple. Breakfast in bed, late night talks til 3 in the morning."

She's challenging me, wanting dirt. "Hate to bust your bubble but I've got nothing to share."

"I bet you do!" Laura pipes up from her spot in front of my chair. "You just don't want to share with the rest of us."

I continue to shake my head as the three sets of eyes look back at me trying to read my expression. "Don't act like this isn't a very clear glimpse into your future with Sergeant Evans," Lily says once more.

"This is definitely not a clear picture of that. We are not staying in the same bed, nor even the same room."

"And why not?" Laura questions me before I go any further.

Same line of questioning, different day. "Because we aren't," I say firmly giving them all the idea that this part of the discussion is not open for further conversation.

"But still," Rae follows my lead slightly, "this has to give you a little bit of an idea. I mean he's taking care of you. You're spending every day together."

Truthfully, Chris has been a godsend, not only here at home but while I was still in the hospital as well. Lisa too, for that matter. The day after she took Pops to his appointment she'd flown back to Boston with the promise of returning again soon should I need her.

"He's been amazing," I answer honestly. "But, let's not dwell on me right now. It's our last night with the Princess here." I ruffle Laura's hair with my hand. "Speaking of, where's your mom?"

"She's packing up the last little bit of stuff. She's going to drive my car up to Atlanta tomorrow while Spencer drives the U-Haul. I may be cleared to travel, but not to drive just yet. Still two more days on that."

"So," I start again, "fill us in on the newest wedding plans."

I watch Laura look over to Lily as if she's asking for permission to talk about such things. Lily gives her a little nod to continue. "Well, I wanted to check with you and see if it's okay that we keep the wedding for the same date, as originally planned."

I give a shoulder shrug, confused by the statement. "Why wouldn't you keep it the same?"

"We weren't sure you'd be up for it," she says modestly. This is very unlike Laura.

"I mean, it's still over three months away. I should be way past any issues by then." I place my hand on my friend's shoulder. "Keep if for July 4. It's fine."

"Are you sure, Opal?" Rae asks.

"Definitely. I want things to get back to normal as quickly as possible."

~~~~~

Chris POV

  "What's next for you, Evans?" Jameson asks when the waitress walks away after leaving us a second round.

  "What do you mean?" I question. "You mean in general or with Opal?"

  "Both," he and Anthony respond in unison.

  How much I can actually tell these men is up in the air because I don't trust them to not spill their guts to their wives who I'm positive would easily give up information to Opal.