.9.

Chris POV

    I know Spencer isn't thrilled to be covering my vacation but how often are you the best man in a wedding.

   I've been driving almost six hours at this point. I'm well past the Welcome to Florida sign. According to my GPS I've got about ten minutes before I reach my destination, the Magnolia Inn.

   Of course I was thrilled when Jameson told me he was getting married, and even more shocked when he asked me to be a part of it. We've kept in touch since our time in the academy, not seeing each other in the last two years. But still remaining present in each other's lives. I've never met his fiancé but I'm sure she's wonderful.

   While I'm stopped at a red light I send off a text to Jameson letting him know I'm getting closer. The further I drive into the city the more beautiful it becomes. The GPS leads me into an area filled with old southern style homes. Almost seems out of place to be honest.

   After a couple of more turns I find myself pulling up a drive next to a large sign for Magnolia Inn. I manage to find a parking space and pull in. I spot Jameson on the porch and lightly honk my horn at him. His eyes follow my direction, nods in approval and then walks inside.

   Once I've grabbed my luggage I head towards the Inn's entrance, by way of the porch, watching my feet so as not to trip. Before I go much further Jameson stops me to introduce me to someone.

   "Opal, I'd like you meet my best man, Chris Evans," Jameson says.

I lift my head at the sound of his voice. Color me surprised as standing there before me, looking even more beautiful than my mind remembers, is the woman who has occupied my thoughts for two weeks. Opal Lucas.

   Opal's face is showing nothing but shock. I take it as a good sign. If there wasn't something here then her face would be saying something else entirely. She hasn't made a move since she spotted me, essentially frozen in place.

   "Good to see you again, Opal," I say unable to control the smug smirk taking over my face.

    "Whoa. Hold up. How do y'all know each other?" Jameson asks looking back and forth between us.

   "Uh, we uh, met in Atlanta during Lily's Bachelorette party," Opal stutters. Yeah, that's definitely a reaction that means something. I'll take it.

   "Wow! Small world, huh?" Jameson seems so enthused, completely oblivious to how awkward he just made things for Opal. But for me? This is a dream come true. "Let's get you checked in so you can join the fun, brother!"

   Opal steps aside to let Jameson lead me inside.

   "Thanks for uh, coming," Opal tells me as I walk by her. I can't help but look over my shoulder to tell her, "you're welcome."

   Jameson brings me over to what I assume is the check in desk. We stay there, catching up, as we wait for someone to join us. "One sec," he tells me.

   I take the moment to let my eyes wander around the amazing Inn. Gorgeous hand carved wooden elements can be found everywhere. It doesn't last long as out of the corner of my eye I see Opal hurrying over, flanked by Jameson.

   "So sorry about that! I'm not sure where AnnaBeth ran off to." She starts punching some keys on the computer before pulling off  a room key from the board behind her.

   "You work here?" I ask her. But before she can answer me, Jameson does for her. "She doesn't just work here. She owns it!"

   "Impressive," I tell her trying to get her to look me in the eyes. She's been avoiding meeting my gaze since Jameson introduced us.