.34.

Opal POV

   "Oh, well is he alright though?" I ask the nurse through the phone as I pace the foyer at Magnolia. I listen for her answer, concerned. "So, he's just not up for visitors today? Um, okay then, thanks."

   Taking the cordless landline back to the desk I'm met by Chris coming back down from his room. "You ready?" he asks.

   "The nurse said Pops isn't up to having visitors today," I tell him softly. "He's never denied my visits."

   "Did she say he's not feeling well? Maybe extra tired?"

   "No, she said he's okay, just not wanting any visits today. I'm sorry, Chris. I know you were looking forward to seeing him while you're in town." Chris holds both of my hands in his own.

   "I can see him next time I'm in. I just wish I could tell him I finally wore you down," he adds with that blasted smirk.

   "You, wore me down?" I tease, playing along with his game of getting my mind elsewhere. I watch as he purses his lips, closes his eyes and nods. "Sure of yourself that much, Officer Evans?"

   I can't help but chuckle when I see the shiver that runs through him when he hears me call him that. I also can't help but love his reaction of bringing our lips together.

   "Very sure of myself, Opal Lucas," he says against my lips, his breath mixing against my own.

   Just as he moves one hand to the back of my head to continue this moment, the front door opens with our newest guest.

   Smiling, I pull away to greet my customers. "Good afternoon! Welcome to Magnolia. I'm Opal, the owner. How can I help you today?"

   The guests begin conversing with me as I lead them to the check in desk. I may be talking with them but I can feel Chris' eyes on me as he leans against the doorframe watching me work.

 I may be talking with them but I can feel Chris' eyes on me as he leans against the doorframe watching me work

The guests take their keys and head off towards their room upstairs. "Join me for dinner?" I ask Chris as I get closer to him.

"I'd love to. Where'd you like to go?" His hands skimming over my arms, gently.

"Follow me," I say, taking his hand in mine, leading the way to the back patio, finally my chance to offer up a surprise.

Thanks to a couple of my staff and Mila, a little intimate dinner has been set up for just the two of us. On the small patio table there have been little LED lights set up, along with a vase of flowers. The fairy lights lit around the patio area casting a soft glow. I was sure to include a request for his favorite beer that sits along side my sparkling water.

My face, covered by a wide smile, still manages to blush as he pulls me close to his chest, whispering a word of thanks as he takes in the romantic setting in front of us. "I wanted you to have another great meal before you leave. I guess you could consider it another thank you for coming down."