.57.

"I am speechless," Chris says as they continue clapping while the cast of Wicked take their bows.

  "Amazing, right?" Opal asks, the smile wide across her face.

  Chris can't decide which part he enjoyed the most, Opal's face lighting up through the whole show or the performance on stage. He's pretty sure that he was more entranced from her excitement than the play itself.

  The couple remain seated a bit longer as the theatre begins to empty out. "So, did you ever do anything like that?"

  Opal gives a slight chuckle, her eyes still sparkling. "Sort of."

  "What do you mean?" Chris quirks a brow. "How do you sort of do theatre?"

  "Remember how I'm always second choice?"

  Chris groans at the fact that she continues to bring up that topic.  "No, I'm being serious. Do you remember?" He nods his head even though he's bothered. "Well, I was always the lead's understudy. When I wasn't the lead's understudy then I was several other people's understudy."

  "So you learned multiple parts?"

  "Not just multiple parts. Multiple stage blocking for multiple roles. There was one play in which I was the understudy for both mother roles. In another I was the understudy for five," his eyes go wide, "yes, FIVE parts. One of them was always absent during rehearsals but then come time to go on stage each one of them were there. So, I never got to really be in the spotlight."

  "Somebody had to have a lot of faith in you to give you that much responsibility though."

  Opal shrugs her shoulders as she notices the theatre has emptied completely except for them. "It is what it is. Pops and Granny still came to each show. That's what mattered to me."

  Chris takes Opal by the hand as they walk to the back of the auditorium towards the exit. "I'm going to run to the ladies room real quick," Opal says before kissing Chris on the cheek. He releases her hand and watches as she walks away from him.

  Chris quickly searches for an attendant and asks for a favor.

~~~~~

Opal POV

      When I exit the restroom I expect to see Chris waiting for me. No such luck. I move towards to entrance to the building and don't see him anywhere. I find myself standing in the middle of the lobby, confused for a second time tonight, wondering where he has gone to.

  "Miss Lucas?" I turn at the sound of my name to see an older gentleman standing near the auditorium door.

  "Yes?"

  "Will you follow me, please?" He gives a sweet smile of assurance as I'm positive I'm looking at him like he's crazy. "Mr. Evans is waiting for you."

  "Oh. Um, okay."

  "I'm Carl," he says as I get closer to him. "Have you been to Broadway before?"

  "One time other than now, several years ago." I follow Carl down a hallway, becoming increasingly nervous as I notice we're passing a few dressing rooms along the way.

  "Carl, where are we going?" I ask.

  "Almost there, ma'am." Another fifteen feet before we make a turn towards the right where I see Chris standing. I love how he exudes confidence, standing with his hands in his suit pant's pockets.

  "Mr. Evans, I think she belongs to you?" Carl chuckles out. He stands off to the side as I come closer to Chris. "Have a wonderful New Years," he says before winking at Chris and walks away.