.101.

Cloud 9 is really an incredible place to be.

  I find myself unable to wipe the cheesy smile off of my face as Chris introduces me to some of his fellow officers, all of them giving congratulations to the both of us. 

  "Gotta say, I'm surprised, Evans." Cooper tells him as he offers up a handshake. 

  I can feel the irritation radiating off of Chris as he glares back at Cooper. "Why do you say that Coop?" He crosses his arms against his chest, his stance wide. My right hand rests on his arms while my left caresses his back, trying to keep him in check. 

  "Can't believe Spencer and his Misses let you steal their thunder." Chris releases a breath and relaxes his stance.

  "It was partially their idea," he says looking down at me with a gentle smile.

  "Really?" I ask, shocked by this revelation. He gives a small nod before I tell him I'll find him in a few minutes. 

  I survey the bar, turning my head and body around until I locate Laura. She's not alone, but sitting at a table with Lily and Rae. She gives a little wave when I catch her eye. I walk over slowly, completely taken aback by what Chris mentioned. 

  "I can't believe you," I say as I plop into the chair across from Laura. 

  Her eyes look panicked, darting over to Rae and Lily, attempting to figure out what I could be referencing. "I'm sorry?" she says preemptively with a shrug.

  "This is suppose to be your night, Laura. And yet it was part of your idea for Chris to propose tonight?" Now Lily and Rae are both looking at her stunned.  "That's why you were so insistent about finding a dress, and the pampering today."

  Before Laura can respond it's Lily who speaks up. "That's quite out of character for you. You feeling alright?"

  "A girl can change, can't she?" Laura asks, innocently with a smirk. 

  "You didn't have to though. You know that, right?" I tell her. My heart swells at the gesture because it's definitely not like her to act this way. "I mean, I'm already carrying around your kidney."

  "I've got a few things to make up for," she says with a wink. "One being the fact that I tried to move in on Chris when I should've noticed you were interested. So, do you accept my apology?"

  I chuckle before tossing up my left hand. "I guess so," I say wiggling my fingers around, proudly showing off my newest accessory. We all move our hands to the middle of the table, clasping one another. 

  These women are my family.

  "Hello again, future Mrs. Sergeant Evans," Pops says, smiling at me as he slips into the chair next to me.

  "Can't believe you kept all of this from me Old Man," I tease at him, resting my left hand in his open hand that sits against the table. 

  "It was worth it, Ope." He lifts my hand in his, staring intently at the diamond that sparkles on my finger. "Looks good, sweetheart. I'm proud of you."

  I smile back at him, attempting to not start crying again. Thankfully we're interrupted by Lisa and Robert joining us. "You about ready to call it a night, David?" Robert asks. 

  I hadn't even realized how late it was, feeling as though time just happened to stand still for me tonight. But, a quick glance at the clock shows it is definitely past Pops bedtime. 

  "Yes, please. I need my beauty sleep." He looks back over at me. "You don't wake up looking like this, ya know." We all laugh at his joke before we begin our goodbyes.