.56.

Third Person POV

Chris' confession brought a level of comfort to Opal. Knowing that he did in fact desire her but wanting to help her remain true to her convictions, gave her a peace.

No words were spoken after his admission. Instead the tears and whimpers ceased and Opal's body relaxed. Realizing she needs to stop questioning his intentions and fully trust him she rests her cheek against his chest. Chris shifts his body, laying down with Opal cuddled into his chest.

He holds her, stroking her back, running his fingers through her hair, allowing her body to relax. "I love you. I love you more than I could've imagined loving anyone, Opal. I'm not going anywhere, and I need you to believe that."

"What if you get tired of waiting, Chris? I can't ask you to change your beliefs to meet mine," Opal asks. Her voice is soft, timid.

"You don't have to ask me. I want to be with you, which means I'll do whatever I have to for that to happen. I just need you to trust that."

Opal lifts her head from his chest, turning to look Chris in the eyes. She gives a quiet nod before bringing her lips to his. It's soft and subtle, speaking just as many volumes as if it were deep and passionate. "How about we try that sleep thing again?" Chris suggests.

Opal agrees but doesn't let go of him. "Hold me? Until I fall asleep."

"Love, I would hold you until my dying breath if that's what you needed," he whispers against her temple before they settle into the sheets. "But for tonight, I'll hold you til you sleep."

~~~~~

Opal POV

"This is incredible," I say as I wipe away the tears that fall silently against my cheeks. I look over to Chris, seeing his jaw tight and I know he's clenching his teeth.

After a lazy start to our New Year's Eve, sleeping in, we had decided to come to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum.

"I remember when it happened," I begin. Chris shifts his gaze to me, giving me his attention. "I was in my first semester of college. I'd been walking through one department to get to my Humanities class. I happened to glance up at the television that was off in a corner and saw a plane hit one of the buildings, just assuming that a plane had lost control." Chris shifts to lean against the railing in order to face me better. "While waiting for class to start one of the guys came in and told us the second tower had been hit. At that point all of us knew this wasn't random. It took mere moments before our professor came in and told us all classes were canceled and the college would be closing."

Chris still doesn't speak. I didn't really take into consideration what coming here might do to him. "Are you okay?"

"I am. It's just a reminder of the evil in the world. A reminder that so many didn't make it home to their families all because they were doing their job."

We spend a bit longer just taking in the sight before us before I start shivering uncontrollably. "Let's get you some place warm."

"What time is it?" I ask as we start our trek down the sidewalk.

"Just before three," he answers.

"So we've got two hours until our dinner reservations?" He nods. "How about we grab some coffee and just make our way back to the hotel?"

The walk back was somewhat quiet. I don't ask Chris why, because I already know. His mind is lost thinking about all of the first responders who lost their lives. Countless families whose lives changed in a split second. This isn't a situation that he needs to talk to me about because I already understand it without his words. He's worried about being in any type of similar situation himself. There's not really any comfort I can give him concerning those worries. But I do what I can by giving his hand a tighter squeeze as we walk into the elevator of our hotel. He returns it with a easy smile. I don't let go of his hand until we're back in our room, removing the tight gloves that were wrapped around our fingers.