.163.

*I may edit this later but...

Opal POV

  Rae was right. I was in no condition to go back to Magnolia to try and work today. If it had been up to me I wouldn't even have left my house today at all after my nightmare came true last night. I was such a wreck that Rae drove me straight to her house where I stayed the night. Laying in bed I literally watched the clock change every minute from eleven pm until three am when my eyes had finally swollen shut, giving me no other choice than to sleep. 

  As I started to wake I prayed that last night had been a dream. But, the face that stared back at me from the mirror assured me that every harsh word, every raw confession, had been real.

  And painful.

  I knew that at some point I would push him too far away from me, and this would be the outcome. I thought I had prepared myself, but this pain is like none other. I truly feel as lost as I did when Pops passed. 

  I leave Dr. Maxwell's office with an appointment to return next week, and in the meantime my homework list. Some how, I'm wishing I actually drank, because now would be a great time to get drunk and forget about the last eighteen hours. But as Chris would remind me I'd rather not have my stomach pumped so instead of pulling into a liquor store I swing through the next best place. 

  "Can I place a to go for the nachos and cinnamon and chocolate empanadas?" I ask the hostess at the front of the Mexican restaurant.  I pay and take a seat to wait. I hadn't had to get an order of these since the night Chris brought me after Pops was admitted to the hospital. 

  I remember telling him that they were a guilty pleasure anytime I was having a rough day. It was because of him I hadn't had to order them in so long. Even today, I know it's my own fault why I'm here having to order them again. 

  Oh well, idiocy party of one.

  I lean my head back against the wall behind me, closing my eyes for just a few moments before I hear my order called. I grab it up and continue the trip back home. 

  Once home I drop the to go bag on the coffee table and decide to get a bit more comfortable. I slip into a pair of bed pants before thumbing through my closet. Apparently I'm not heartbroken enough because I reach up on the top shelf to pull down Chris' Patriots hoodie. I start to tear up as I slip it on, pulling it up to my nose, realizing his scent is no longer there. 

  I pad down the hallway in my fluffy socks while pulling my hair high on top of my  head. It's gotten much longer than I'm use to. I just haven't cared about keeping it trimmed lately. 

  Flopping onto the couch, my stomach growling loudly, reminding me I've skipped every meal today. I pull open the bag, pop open the nacho box and greedily take a bite, humming in gratification. My eyes flit between the television remote and my homework from Dr. Maxwell. I scoop up the remote for fear of becoming so emotional during the work that I'll just throw up the little food I've managed to eat. 

  I bypass about five different channels, each one boasting a romantic movie, before turning the television off completely, tossing the remote onto the sofa. Grabbing my cell from the pocket of my bed pants I scroll through a couple of stations on Spotify before finally just shuffling randomly. The first song is catchy, a nice beat to it. I dive back into my food for a few more bites. 

  The sweet smell of the empanadas pulls me in, and I realize I'm an adult and no one is here to tell me I can't have dessert until I finish my dinner. My first bite in and the song changes. It peaks my interest, sounding familiar. It's not until it reaches past the chorus that I recognize a handful of the words.