.27.

Third Person POV

   Suddenly the window directly behind Opal is broken, with a loud crash, shattering all over the floor behind her. Startled and scared she drops the phone from her hand. She fumbles through the drawer of the table next to her entry way, searching for her gun. She turns as she hears more glass breaking, seeing a leg start to come through the window. Even though she holds the gun in her hand, and someone is breaking into her home, she still doesn't want to shoot the person, she just wants to get away. Quickly, she grabs her phone and runs for her back door, further away from the intruder.

   Chris is still on the call as the phone didn't disconnect from FaceTime. He quickly grabs his landline, calling Spencer in a hurry, knowing it would be difficult to direct 911 to a home that he doesn't even have the address of. All he can really do is hope that her alarm system alerted authorities.

   "Hey man," Spencer says. He starts to try and have a whole conversation but Chris interrupts him quickly.

   "Listen! I need you to go back to Opal's house. Someone broke in while we were talking. Get Laura to call the police. Now!"  He's frantic, knowing there's nothing else he can do. He hangs up with Spencer.

   "Opal!" he calls out as loud as he can. He hears footsteps, heavy and quick. He can't see anything from the screen, just darkness. He assumes she stuck the phone in her back pocket and can't hear him, even though he can hear her. She's whimpering, afraid.

   Chris' heart is breaking, his own panic taking over, knowing that she's scared and he can't help her.  He walks out of his own apartment, climbing the stairs up to the roof's access, still holding onto the phone in front of him, hopeful she'll make some type of sound letting him know she's okay. "Opal!" he yells out again, but then he realizes if she's still in the house then he could be putting her in danger, alerting the criminal to her whereabouts. He holds his breath, praying.

   Opal escaped through her back door as quietly as she could. She was pretty sure she was able to do so without alerting the person. She was in her backyard, crouched down behind her shed that held her lawn mower, her gun ready should the person come after her. She forgot she had grabbed her phone, pulling it out of her pocket. Opal notices that Chris is still on the call. Afraid to speak and alert the person to her whereabouts she just ends the call.

   "Damn it!" Chris cries out to the night sky as the call disconnects. All he can do is sit here and wait. His mind thinking only the worst. 'Am I going to lose her before I even get her,' he thinks to himself.

   Minutes pass, only being marked by the fast paced beating of Chris' heart and breath. His phone rings, pulling him out of his panicked thoughts. "Opal!" he yells out, not even bothering to look at who is calling.

   "Chris?"

   "Spence, what's going on? The call was disconnected."

   "We're here with her. The security alarm alerted the police, they were already here when we pulled up," he tells him.

   "Where is she? Is she hurt?" he can't keep the fear out of his voice.

   "Laura is with her. She's giving a statement to the police. She's definitely shaken up, but I don't think she's hurt."

   "Did they get the guy?" Chris needs to know whether or not Opal will still be in trouble, worried about the person coming back.

   "Yes, they got him. It was just a burglary, he wasn't even armed."

   Chris is still panicked and frustrated. "You know you don't have to be armed to hurt someone. What if he had-"

   "He didn't, Chris. Don't let your mind go where it's not necessary," Spencer directs him, knowing exactly what Chris was most scared of. "You need to calm down, man, before you speak to her. You being upset isn't gonna help her."