.82.

** re-publishing with a little bit of extra information. I am not a medical professional. I do as much research as the Internet allows.**

Numb. The word that comes to mind when asked to describe your own feelings or those around you.

Broken. Wondering if the pieces will ever be put back together.

Agony. The world doesn't stop just because yours has.

Restless. The feeling within that is constantly fighting with your desire to feel anything other than what you've been feeling.

Hope. Slipping through your fingers a little more each day.

Chris POV

"A kidney transplant?" Lily repeats the words of which just came out of the doctor's mouth.

We stand as a group on one side of Opal's hospital room, the only sounds are the machines and the droning on and on from the doctor.

Best case scenario Opal receives a new kidney within the next week.

Worst case scenario no match is found and I lose the love of my life.

Each day has been a roller coaster for Opal's health. The amount of internal injuries alone should've ended her life, but for whatever reason her body has tried to heal itself while in a coma. The little bit of light we've managed to see is the fact that she still has brain function.

"Yes, a kidney transplant. Her left kidney was completely destroyed beyond any form of repair. As I told Mr. Lucas and Mr. Evans, Opal apparently has Chronic Kidney Disease."

Laura holds her hand out to the doctor. "Wait, wait. That makes no sense. She wouldn't have kept that from us."

"She never knew," Pops sighs. He looks beaten down, and I can't blame him. Dealing with his own medical issues while now fearing for his granddaughter's life. I slide a chair over to him, urging him to sit.

"Mr. Lucas is correct. One can go many years, never knowing they have the disease. Of course this would've been very different if that kidney had been the one affected from the accident," the doctor explains further.

"So next step?" I push him to get to the point for all of our sakes, but mostly my own.

"We look for a donor. Family of course would possibly be a quicker route, but Mr. Lucas is not a candidate. Am I correct that there is no other family?"

I exchange a glance with Pops. His lips are in a tight line, his jaw stern. He gives me the slightest nod to answer the doctor. "There is one possibility, but we'd have to find him. Opal's father. She hasn't seen him since she was four."

"That could take more time than she has, Chris," Laura pleads. I fight every urge not to snap back at her. "Can the rest of us be tested? Maybe we'll get lucky and one of us may be a match."

"I'd be happy to have the nurse come in and get the testing started for anyone that meets the general requirements." He looks over at Rae who is leaning against Anthony. "You will definitely not be a candidate due to your pregnancy." She nods her head with a look of pure sadness.

"Don't get upset, Rae." Anthony runs his hand along her growing stomach. "You'll be able to care for her after the transplant, help with whatever she needs that way."

"It'll be good prep for when the baby comes," Lily reassures her with a hand on her shoulder. I watch as Rae wipes at the tears that have fallen from her eyes.

"I'll send in a nurse right away to get started," the doctor tells us before closing up the chart and stepping out of the room, leaving us with our thoughts running rampant.