.69.

Opal POV

   The weekend has come to a close, the sunlight pouring in revealing the dread of this particular Monday. In just a couple of hours Chris will be back on the road, heading home, leaving my heart a little emptier once again.

  As I shower I think over the tender moments we've shared over the course of just two days, reveling in the love I've felt. The assurance he's given me on where he stands with the two of us, a future looming somewhere together. The little comments, that more than likely I only notice, of him defending me. His admiration and acceptance of my relationship, and its importance, with Pops. 

  He's also helped me realize that simple and sweet kisses are just as intimate as those filled with passion, effectively making me just as thankful for those effortless kisses on my temple as the ones on my lips. Knowing that he has multiple ways of showing me my importance to him makes my  heart flutter.

  As I attempt to make myself look presentable, knowing that my eyes are already on the verge of tears, there's a soft knock against the carriage house door. "Just a second!" I rush to pull my sweater dress over my head as my hair is still dripping wet.  I situate the grey knit dress in place as it rests about an inch above my knee. "Coming!" 

  Opening the door and seeing his smile will never get old for me. It's a smile that sets my soul alight. "Morning, gorgeous," he says before grabbing my hips and bringing his lips to mine. His hum into the kiss leaves me breathless. I step backwards guiding him into the room without breaking the moment. He pushes the door close with his boot before turning me and placing me against the door.

  Remember those little pecks I mentioned earlier. This is anything but that. 

 I allow myself a few moments to truly fade into the occasion as I'm held in place by the weight of his body holding my own against the door, one hand sitting against his chest as the other fingers linger lightly against his bearded cheek. 

  "Good morning, indeed," I whisper as Chris removes his lips from my own before placing them on my forehead. "I'm gonna miss that." I feel him chuckle against my skin, his lips moving into a smile. 

  "Hmm...me too," he says before finally backing up from my bubble of space. I immediately want to bring him back to me, but fight the urge. "I interrupted you?" he asks, taking note of my wet hair.

  "Just a bit, but I don't mind." I head back into the bathroom, leaving the door open and begin drying my hair. I'm taken by surprise when I see Chris' reflection in the mirror, taking the dryer from my hand.

  "May I?"

  I simply nod and hand it over to him as I watch his reflection, curiously. I've never had anyone else dry my hair for me since I was a little girl, and even then I learned how to do it myself by the time I was six. He notices me watching him, cocks his brow and smirks. "What?" he asks. I slowly shake my head from side to side. 

  This man amazes me more every day.

  Playfully he moves the dryer to blow my hair all into my face, his deep laughter radiating through the small room. "Give me that!" I attempt to grab the dryer from him, but of course he dodges my efforts. He puts his hand up in surrender, letting me know he'll do it the right way now.  He even picks up my brush to use it alongside the dryer.

  Five minutes later, my hair is completely dry and looks somewhat decent. Chris sets the dryer on the counter and unplugs it from the wall. I turn around, but lean my bottom against the counter. "You dated a hairdresser didn't you?" I've apparently caught him off guard as he chokes out a deep chortle. 

  "Guilty," he admits walking out of the bathroom. 

  "So," I start, knowing this could be dangerous for me, "this wasn't just a me thing then?"