.141.

Opal POV

  The exhaustion that comes from being put to shame by a man who walked away 26 years ago is  a lot heavier than one might guess. 

  I was reminded that  no matter how much time has passed, it still hurts me to my core to be reminded that I wasn't worthy enough for him to stick around and raise me. For that matter, who said he had to raise me, he could've at least been present in some way, shape or form. Pops and Granny could've still been my guardians while he could come and go as he pleased.  Maybe that was what he had wanted but forgot the first step in that statement: the coming. He only focused on the going.

  I manage to stay at the Inn for just a bit longer, hopeful that I've given him enough time to separate himself from me once more. The truth is that I would let him hurt me over and over again if I could just know that I held some sort of worth to him. 

  Isn't that what an abusive relationship looks like? The victim returning over and over again with the hope that the abuser changes. The difference here being I can't actually return to him, just sit around and wait for him to grace me with his presence. And being the door mat that I am, will just wait for my heart to be cut open once more by the man who hasn't cared an ounce about me in over two decades.

  No one ever said I was very smart.

  "Hey, gorgeous. You ready?"

  Chris voice pulls me out of my head. He'd been talking with his family about their departure back for Boston the next morning. 

  I give an unsure nod as I stand, smoothing out my coffee drenched dress, remembering I have a mess still waiting for me in my office to clean up. "Wait. I need to straighten up the office." I move to the small storage closet that sits under the stairs and begin pulling out a mop and broom. 

  "Let us take care of that, Ope," Lily offers before Laura begins taking the items from my grasp. 

  I start to tell them no before I notice Jamison standing behind them, shaking his head. "Give them the supplies, Opal."

  I release the broom from my grasp, handing it over to Lily as Laura has already begun pushing the bucket and mop towards my office door. "Don't go snooping," I instruct them. "Unless you feel like paying some bills. Otherwise, it's all very boring."

  Lisa comes up, wrapping me into a gentle hug, rubbing my back softly. "Go get some rest, sweetie."

  "We'll see you tomorrow, to take you to the airport," I remind her as I step away. 

  She smiles kindly, shaking her head side to side. "I'm not letting you two lose any time together. We'll see you both soon enough."

  I look over at Chris, standing there with his hands in his pockets. "What?" I ask stunned.

  "Don't look at me," he tells me before pointing at Jamison.

  "Don't worry that pretty head of yours, Ope. I've got this, y'all go on," he says before kissing the top of my  head. "Mrs. Evans, I'll see you all at 9 AM." Lisa gives him a nod before he retreats to my office in order to help the girls. 

  Chris goes down the line, wishing his parents and brother farewell.  He thanks Scott for restraining him and keeping him out of the Jacksonville jail. I notice Lisa holds him a bit tighter, whispering in his ear before kissing his cheek. 

  He backs away and turns toward me, offering his hand. I take it as he leads us through the front door and out to my car. 

  "I'm gonna get out of this dress and shower," I inform Chris as he closes the door to my house behind us. "I spilled my coffee all over, when..." my voice trails off as my hands run over the skirt, my mind going back to earlier chaotic events.

  "I knew there as a different scent about you," he teases, causing me to shoot a glare at him. He puts his hands up defensively and smiles widely. "Not in a bad way!" He comes closer to me, wrapping his arms around my waist, gently, encouraging my own to find their place around his neck. "Kind of makes me crave a cup of coffee," he pauses, staring with direct intent into my eyes, "or maybe a cup of you."

  It's cheesy at best, but that doesn't match the look on his face. The feeling of heat rushes through me at his words and I know I'm lucky my dress is covering my chest or else it would look like I have a sunburn. I clear my throat, "Can't really help you with the latter, but I'm happy to make you a cup of coffee."

  My effort doesn't quite phase him. "Or," he quirks his brow, "I could just lick the remnants from you?" 

  I know what he's doing outside of his typical flirty words. He's making an attempt to draw my wavering attention away from my father and back on to us. I playfully push away from him, my hands against his hard chest. His grip becomes a bit tighter around me before he dips his head into my neck. 

  He starts placing tiny little pecks just under my jaw but before long he's moved on to hot open mouth kisses with just a touch of suckling. Instinctively my head drops to the side, allowing better access, when I feel him begin to actually lick around my neck. 

  My breath shutters as I'm enjoying this moment a bit too much, and in my state I'm rather sure I'd allow every boundary to be thrown right out the door that stands just four feet away from us. "Pretty sure the coffee didn't land there," I sigh, completely enjoying the way his lips and tongue work against my flushed skin. 

  Chris pulls back to look at me, the famous smug smirk across his lips. "Gotta check the other side to be sure." Without much effort on either of our parts I grant him the access he's requested. 

  A quiet moan escapes my lips as he mimics his prior actions. I feel his tongue go flat over my pulse point before he gives a gentle nip and a hum. "Mmm," he hums lowly. "Blueberry flavored coffee?" he mumbles against my skin before moving up, getting closer to my ear. 

  "Uh huh," I manage to squeak out, too lost in this moment for any other effort of words. 

  I hear Chris chuckle softly just as he tenderly bites at my earlobe, the sound of his breath doing nothing for my resolve except softening it further. 

  My eyes remain closed through each of his pecks and nips, even when I feel his actions stop. But I feel him grab my face before placing a big kiss against my lips. "Muah!" he smacks out, completely ruining the moment.

  My eyes snap open to see the goofiest grin smiling back at me. He knows what he's done, and he's proud of himself for it. "Go shower," he says playfully. 

  When I don't move, he places his hands on my shoulders, effectively turning me completely around before I feel his hand pop my bottom, causing me to jump and squeal. "Get movin." 

  I take a couple steps forward before turning around, my eyes narrowing at him as I pull my heels off of my tired feet. "I expect that blanket fort you promised me when I get out."

  "One thing you should've learned about me by now, Ope. I always keep my promises."