.37.

Chris POV

Watching Opal through the phone, I know we're both full of frustration. Chances are it's not even actually towards one another, but the situation as a whole. It's not ideal, I know that and she knows it, but I want this to work, and I'm willing to do what I need to for it to happen.

"Please, Opal, don't hang up," I plead with her, swallowing down my own pride.

"Chris, I'm trying to give you some grace because I'm sure you're under a lot of stress right now, but I need you to give me the same," she says looking back into the camera of the phone.

"You're right. I am stressed out. I really didn't expect something like this to happen right at the start of a new relationship."

Frustration leaves her features, but it's replaced with sadness. "There's already so much stacked against us...maybe we should-"

I jump to interrupt her quickly. "No. Don't say it. We can make this work."

I watch as she looks over the video, my guess is out over the river, contemplating. "In six weeks we've spent all of maybe 5 days around each other. We have no idea when we'll get to actually be in each other's presence again. Maybe now just isn't our time."

I feel my own anxiety starting to fester, knowing that she's much quicker to end this before I am. "This is a minor setback, sweetheart. Right now it sucks. I know it does. But it won't be this way forever."

"I don't know. I really don't know what to do. I was being honest though. Not much of my life has changed at this point, except my thoughts keep going to you," she says truthfully. "I miss you so much, and the lack getting to talk to you isn't helping."

"It's not that I don't want to talk to you or FaceTime with you. It's that I rarely can. I can't keep this phone on me when they send me out to a meeting, which I never know when it's going to be. But I promise you, I'll make a greater effort," I promise her. "I mean, I may be calling you at 2 AM," I laugh out, "but as long as you will answer, I'll call."

"2 AM huh? Guess I'll start going to bed at 7 then." I chuckle at the fact that she thinks she can actually fall asleep that early when all of the nights I've been around it's well past midnight before we even say good night.

"Does that mean there's still an 'us?'" I question her, hoping the small smile across her lips is giving me a good indication of the answer.

"As much as there can be, yes."

"It's gonna be okay, I promise," I tell her again.

My other phone lights up with a text message. New meeting place scheduled for Sunday at 3 pm. You and Spencer.

   "What's got your attention?" Opal asks, noticing my shift.

   "Just got a message of a new meeting Sunday," I answer. "It's an afternoon one so probably nothing major."

We speak for a little bit longer. She flips the camera around for me to see the sun setting. She wasn't kidding. The sky is painted in such vibrant hues that it is truly breathtaking. I'm wishing I was right there next to her, enjoying the moment in person rather than video.

"You owe me an in person sunset date, Chris." She's effectively pulled me out of my dreaming by those simple words because it means she's gonna stick this out longer.

"You've got it, gorgeous."

"I better get home and tucked in for the night." I watch her stand as she begins to make her way to wherever she had parked the car.