.106.

Opal POV

  "You don't think it's a little over the top?" I ask Lily as we finish the last little touches for Rae and Anthony's joint baby shower.

  She steps back from the wall of the patio that we have tediously decorated with different shapes of balloons in greens, beige, browns and yellows to match the woodland theme. "She's the first one of us to have a baby, so of course we're gonna set the bar high," she giggles, observing the fruits of our labor.

  I glance at my cell, checking the time once more. It's 3:30 in the afternoon, with the party starting at 4. "I'm sure people are going to be arriving soon so I'm gonna run and help Mila bring out the food. Can you make sure there's a notebook close by so we can keep track of the gifts?" I don't bother waiting for a response before I'm already walking into the kitchen.

  Mila has outdone herself like always, taking the food to the extreme to meet the theme. The shower cake is made to look like an actual tree stump. She's made an entire table of nothing but desserts that also include decorated peanut butter balls to look like little hedgehogs.

  "Maybe I should think about hiring you out for catering gigs," I tease as I follow her out with the individual bowls of berry salad, leaving the cake to her and her steady hands.

  "I don't think I could do catering full time," she admits, setting the cake down on the dessert table.

  "But, isn't that what you kind of do already?"

  "More freedoms here," she reminds me. "Well, until Pops starts in on his demands." We laugh in agreeance knowing exactly what she means by that.

  "Rae and Anthony is pulling in." Lily let's us both know as she surveys our hard work once more. "Think we can add this to our resumes?" she asks coming to stand beside me.

  "I do enough party planning as is," I emphasize thinking about all of the weddings and events we host at Magnolia.

  "Need to add your own in there too, Ope."

  'Don't remind me,' I think to myself. Luckily I don't have to respond as I see my beautiful friend and her husband come around the corner, walking along the sidewalk to the back of the Inn. "Hey there, Mama!" I call out to her as I step away from Lily to greet Rae and Anthony.

  We gravitate right to each other, ending in a hug the best we can as her belly continues to grow daily. I give her belly a little rub before turning to hug Anthony as well.

  "Chris here yet?" he asks, obviously hoping he's not the only male here.

  "Not yet, but should be soon. He worked last night and I didn't want him driving after a full shift." Anthony nods his head in agreement.

  Rae holds my hand as we walk to the patio. "Ya know, Anthony here finally realized that he's the only husband that's not a cop." I look over at Anthony, quirking my brow. "Thinking of a career change?" I tease. 

  "No, ma'am. I'm just happy to know I've got plenty of men that can protect little old mail carrier me," he says, acting as a damsel in distress.

  "Oh, Opal!" Rae exclaims as we round the corner. She's in utter awe of the effort we put into her special day. "You two went above and beyond!"

  Lily joins us now, giving Rae a small hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Anything for you."  She pulls back to see Rae beginning to tear up. Lily puts her hand up. "Nope. None of that today, you hear me."

  Rae straightens up, wipes her tears away and gives a captain's salute to Lily. "Aye, Aye!" sending us all into a fit of laughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris POV

   Pulling down the tree covered drive will never get old for me.

  I see the gravel parking lot about half full, noticing Jameson's truck as well. I hadn't originally planned on being this late, but I decided to follow Opal's orders and get some sleep before getting on the road. Technically I'm only thirty minutes late to the party.

  Tossing the car in park I lean into the backseat grabbing the shower gift. I hop out of the car and drop my keys and cell into the pocket of my khaki cargo shorts before straightening out the navy polo too.

  As I'm walking up to the front porch I hear laughter coming from the back patio so I change direction, walking around the side of the house. I notice Opal's back to me as she's talking with Jameson who cuts his eyes in my direction. I put my finger up to my lip, asking him to stay quiet.  I set the gift bag down on the sidewalk just a few steps away from her. I creep up behind her, then quickly wrap both of my arms around her waist, pulling her against me before lifting her up and swinging her around.

  "Ah!" she squeals loudly.

  Her surprised giggles are music to my ears.

  "Ya know the quicker you put me down the quicker I can kiss you." I spin her around once more before abruptly dropping her back to her feet. She turns quickly to face me, a broad smile across her face as I catch her lips with my own.

  "Hi gorgeous," I whisper against her lips before she gives me one more peck.

  "Hi," she says sweetly taking my hand in hers, her eyes dancing in happiness.

  "Evans!" Jameson calls out as I grab the gift bag again.

  "Thanks for not blowing my cover, man." I shake his hand before he pulls me into a hug.

  "I've always got your six, brother."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  The majority of the party has wound down, just the closer of the friend group still hanging around. 

  "Laura just text me," Lily says holding up her cell. "She apologizes again."

  Rae waves her off. "It's fine! After that honeymoon I figured she wouldn't be able to take off from the salon, especially after someone booked her for an elopement."

  "Pops has a gift coming your way too," Opal mentions, grabbing a bottle of water off a near by table. "He wanted to be here, but he's caught a summer cold. I swear I think colds during the summer are worse than in the winter."

  She surprises me by not sitting back in the chair next to me, but actually sitting on my lap. I rest one hand at her hip and the other mindlessly rubs along her thigh that's covered by her floral maxi dress.

  "He's doing alright, though, other than that I mean?" Rae asks, running her hand over her bump like she has all afternoon.

  "Yeah," Opal answers. "Said his appointments have been going well and all."

  "Chris, you wanna join me and Jameson for a round of golf tomorrow?" Anthony asks me before he takes a sip from his cup.

  I take a deep breath. "Man, I wish I could. We're leaving first thing in the morning so I can make my shift tomorrow night."

  "That's a short turn around, man."

  I just shrug my shoulders thinking nothing of it. "Not a big deal. I enjoy long car rides. And the last few have been more than worth my while," I tell them all as I tickle Opal's side, digging my fingers in causing her to twitch around in my lap.

  "Get married already and this back and forth can come to an end," Lily points out.

  One thing I've learned about Lily, she's very blunt and outspoken.

  I feel Opal's body stiffen against mine a bit. I can tell this is something she doesn't want to have a long drawn out conversation about right now, deciding to come to her rescue. "We've only been engaged a couple weeks, woman." I try to make the comment light enough to sound like a joke.

  "Nothing wrong with setting a date, Chris. Maybe that's something y'all can talk about tomorrow on your road trip."

  Opal's gaze is resting on her hands that sit in her lap. I bring my hand to cover hers causing her to look up at me. "Maybe," I give her a sly wink causing her to return with a small smile.

* I know, that was kind of boring but necessary.*