.128.

*Unedited, and probably not the greatest after the weekend I've had. Hopefully you enjoy anyways.*

Pops POV

  I can't help but watch the two of them together, thinking back to the first time I saw the pair.  While the location is similar, the people in front of me are nothing like they were that first day.

  Well, maybe that's not entirely true. Chris still looks at my granddaughter with constant admiration that has only grown into a love that reminds me of how I felt when looking at my Rosie. 

  But, Opal is a different story. The first day she came with the Officer she was very reserved, kept him at a distance greater than arms length. She could blame it on being too concerned with me, but I know her too well. That story would never pass and she knows it. However, now I see a constant smile on her face that gives me a peace that I don't think she'll ever fully understand.

  Someone could ask me when I knew there was a shift between the two. What point Opal really began to let down her guard? I know for her it was after the break-in, Chris surprising her by coming down to comfort her. Although I believe for Chris it occurred during that first wedding weekend. His desire to want to do whatever he could to put her at ease concerning my health. 

  That boy has pursued my girl every day since meeting her in Atlanta. Never once has he given up on her, even with as much as she's questioned his motives. I've never made a better decision than giving him permission to marry my baby girl. 

  Even now as he holds her hand in his own as she holds mine, the smiles they share with one another, the glimmer in each of their eyes, holding a secret between the two of them. "You two seem different."

  A look passes across Opal's face. Reminds me of the times I caught her in lies as a teen. Chris shrugs his shoulders while Opal asks me what I mean. I narrow my eyes, thinking of how to broach the subject. "Am I getting that great grandbaby, Ope? Are you pregnant?"

  Her head drops while shaking back and forth. I see that beautiful smile start to grow as she speaks. "That's not possible, old man."

  I'm not convinced. She's hiding something from me, but I'll choose to make a joke over the issue. "Poor swimmers, Christopher?"

  Opal gasps, her hand going to cover her mouth while her eyes go wide. "Did you lose all your manners while you were unconscious?"

  "Never had them to begin with. I'm old. I can get away with saying what I'm thinking." I trade my focus towards Chris now who also looks shocked by my words. "Well, Officer?"

  I silently chuckle to myself as Chris tries to speak, but really he's just sputtering out nonsense.

  "Pops," Opal taps against my hand carefully. "I didn't think I'd have to have this conversation with you. But, when a man and a woman love each other-"

  I swat my  hand at the little brat in front of me. "I know about the birds and the bees you silly girl."

  "Well, apparently not." She looks over at Chris who gives a small nod. "Because Chris and I haven't had sex, so a baby is not possible right now."

  I take a deep breath, my focus moving from my granddaughter to my future grandson. "I like you even more now."

  Chris immediately falls into loud laughter before we join him. 

  "Sounds like a party going on in here," Dr. Wagner says, announcing her presence and interrupting our moment.

  "Just trying to liven up the sterile atmosphere," I assure the doctor as Opal stands up from my bed and Chris pushes his chair back further. He stands, offering the seat to Opal instead. "How am I doing, Doc?"