.31.

*TRIGGER WARNING* (I don't want to say what type because it'll ruin the chapter,  proceed with caution and tissues)

The sun shines down through the tall trees, casting shadows across the ground as the little girl dances, twirling in circles causing her floral dress to flow around her. She dances through the shadows while singing.

"One two, buckle my shoe. Three four, shut the door. Five six, pick up sticks. Seven eight, lay them straight. Nine ten begin again." The four year old sang over and over again, moving around without a care in the world, her brown hair falling in her face.

She looks up and notices leaves beginning to change color, almost instantaneously. Colors going from deep green to vibrant reds, orange and yellows. "Pretty!" she calls out watching them change right before her eyes.

Beginning to skip now she goes between the trees, making a game out of it while continuing her sing song. The leaves begin falling, handfuls at a time. Looking up once again she sees the sun dimming, dark clouds coming to cover it. The branches of the trees are now going bare as the leaves come crashing around her, the sky getting darker.

The little girl becomes scared, afraid of what's taking place in front of her, all beauty in the moment dissipating.

"Mommy!" she calls out. "Mommy!" There's no answer.

"Daddy!" yelling louder this time. Still no one calls back to her.

"Granny!" The little girls voice changes as she looks down and sees she's grown several feet, almost not recognizing herself. "Granny!" No response comes except thunder from the sky.

Before the girl can open her mouth again she's grown older once more.

"Pops!" panic rising in her voice. A faint voice answers her, "Ope." It's quiet, almost unrecognizable and unreachable.

She takes off running but gets no where, still trapped under leafless trees and dark clouds with roaring thunder.

   She opens her mouth once more, ready to call for her grandfather. "Chris!" she cries out, unknowingly. "Chris!"

   The sky opens, piercing raindrops hitting her skin. "Anyone!" 

   "Opal!" the young woman finally hears a response, turning towards the sound. It feels as though it's coming from right beside her, but she's sees no one and nothing but darkness. "Opal!" The voice sounds further away now. "Opal!" quieter again. She runs to the voice but is still getting no where, until finally all goes silent. The voice has stopped, the roar of thunder ends and the rain ceases.

   "Opal, wake up!"   

   Opal awakes startled, heart racing, sweat covering the palms of her hands and forehead. It takes another moment for her to gather herself and realize she's in a guest room at Magnolia. Only a second longer to realize Chris is knelt down by the side of the bed, grasping her hand, his other hand cupping her cheek. 

   "Are you alright?" he asks her, concern visible across his face, shown in the darkness only by the light of the television set that had been left on.

   She begins to sit up, breathing still erratic. She knows what she needs to do. Looking directly into worried eyes with her own full of fear she speaks. "We need to talk."

~~~~~

Chris POV

   My eyes fly open at the thought that I've heard my name. I lay still in the bed, eyes staring up at the ceiling. Another moment passes and this time I'm sure I've heard my name called out. Walking out of my room I go across the hall to Opal's, seeing a glow come from under the door, remembering I left the television on when I moved her sleeping body to the bed.