.151.

Opal POV

It's been around four weeks since Chris left Jacksonville for what is probably the last time. Well, not necessarily I guess since he's been labeled Godfather to Giovanni. But outside of once a year birthday parties for the little mister, he has no reason to come back.

  We've given each other space. No calls, no texts. That doesn't mean I haven't casually asked Laura how things are going in Atlanta. I try to always keep it to her and Spencer, but she knows and will give me a quick rundown of all the guys at the station, always saving Chris for last. Maybe she does that in hopes that I'll ask more questions pertaining to just him, but I keep it as simple as I can.

  I imagine that he's doing the same, whether that be through Laura or Jameson I'm not sure. In a few months we'll all be making the trek to Atlanta for Laura's baby shower. I suppose we may run into one another then. Maybe I can convince her to just invite women. Who am I kidding, the woman screams co-ed everything.

  I'm still sleeping horribly. Well, maybe a tiny better I suppose, but really not much different. I've been attempting to stay late at Magnolia doing a bit more manual labor than an owner would normally do in hopes that when I get home I can crash. Most of the time, there's no such luck. When I do manage to crash quickly I'm awake every other hour staring at the ceiling trying to find a way to bargain for more sleep.

  Then there's the nights that I find myself wide awake at three and four AM. On those nights I drive over to Rae and Anthony's, letting myself in quietly to help with G so the couple can get a little bit more sleep. Of course I suggested it to them first so that no one met me at the door with a baseball bat. Now they just leave a small pallet for me on the couch each night.

  I wonder what it'll take for me to feel normal again. To go to bed and enjoy a full nights sleep. The last night I remember sleeping even a tiny better was the night Giovanni was born and Chris yelled at me. Weird, right?

Maybe I thrive on abusive behavior.

  No. Chris has been anything and everything but abusive towards me. I know why I got more than four hours that night. It was simply because of being in his presence again.

  I put forth more effort tonight to try and sleep longer, opening a package of melatonin. Pulling out all the stops I pop two pills before relaxing in a lavender bath. About twenty minutes in I begin feeling the effects of the medicine, I decide to finish my nightly routine quickly for fear of falling asleep in the tub.

  As I lay down I plug my phone in, the face lighting up also alerts me to a message.

  Chris: <<link>>

  My bottom lip automatically wiggles between my teeth as butterflies begin dancing in my belly. First contact in a month. I unlock my phone, clicking on his message. There are no extra words out side of a link. The little three gray dots don't show up to tell me he's typing anything else out. I settle down onto my pillow, clicking the link I see it pull up an old style 80s music video. I lay the phone on the pillow next to me and close my eyes, listening to the words.

Oceans apart, day after day
And I slowly go insane
I hear your voice on the line
But it doesn't stop the pain

If I see you next to never
How can we say forever?
Wherever you go, whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you
Whatever it takes or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you

I took for granted all the times
That I thought would last somehow
I hear the laughter, I taste the tears
But I can't get near you now
Oh, can't you see it, baby?
You've got me goin' crazy