.112.

Chris POV

  "Little strange knocking on the door of my own house," Spencer mutters as we walk up to his porch. He'd left his coat in my car, but adjusts his tie once more before we reach the door.

  "I know it's awkward, but I appreciate it. Little hard to pick someone up for a date when they're already staying at yours." 

  I've looked forward to this day since I realized that Opal and I were making this distance thing work. The anticipation only grew once we were engaged. 

  A knock to the door and we can hear the clinking of heels against the hardwood floor right before the door opens. Laura looking beautiful in a peach colored dress with lace along the top. "You look incredible," Spencer tells his wife as he takes her hand and leans in to kiss her.  Laura steps back, allowing us to walk in. I give them time to themselves by walking towards the living room, my focus on adjusting my suit jacket sleeves over my dress shirt. But when I look up, I see her.

  My bride to be.

  The love of my life.

  My Opal.

  I see her look up at me, having been fiddling with her fingers, out of anxiety I'm sure. I can tell she feels out of place in this moment, on display and waiting for a reaction. 

  "I bet you're just gonna wear that smug look on your face all day long," Opal tells me. 

  "Is that so?" I challenge her with a small nod of my head and quirk of my brow.

  "Of course. I'm your ultimate prize, aren't I?" She smiles, full of sass in her eyes. "The chase officially over, winner called."

  "First, the chase won't be over. Just a new version beginning," I tell her, tapping her on the nose.

  She shifts her position on my lap, facing me a bit more as the sunrises over the roof of the apartment. 

  "Second, I may be a bit smug around the guys that day, but when I see you walking down that aisle, knowing it's no longer as a bridesmaid, I won't be able to keep my emotions in check."

  "Is that so?" she mocks me.

  My hand runs along her arm a few times before lifting it to the juncture of her jaw and neck. "You, my love, stop me in my tracks every time I see you." She watches my eyes intently, looking for any sign of dishonesty. I gaze back at her, feeling more grounded with each passing second. "Seeing you in white, surrounded by our friends and family, may just turn me into a complete incoherent puddle." 

  "I've never been that for anyone," she whispers, still watching my face for any signs of apprehension. 

  My thumb caresses her cheek. "Sweetheart, that's because you were always meant to be mine."

  And here I am, once again, stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of my friend's house. Opal looks as if she's stepped right off of a runway from the late 50s early 60s. The dress fitting her perfectly, her brown locks styled such a way that still allows me to see one of my favorite parts of her, her neck. Her beauty only enhanced by the make up she wears. 

  She looks away from me, fiddling once more. "Say something," she says quietly, "please."

  "Wow," I breathe out, taking another step closer to her.