.126.

Another day passes. The waiting room beginning to feel smaller with each passing hour. The same other families present, waiting like the rest of us.

Pops is still unconscious but doctors remain hopeful. He is making strides as far as everything else. I do my best to continuously assure myself that with in time he'll be sassing me again.

"I'm gonna go sit with him for a few minutes before visiting hours end." I gently touch his arm that's resting on the side of the chair.

"You need me?" Chris asks turning his head towards me as soon as he feels my touch.

"I'll always need you," I smile back at him. "But, I think I'm okay for now." He leans in, kissing my cheek before I stand. His hand reaching up to gently hold my left hand for a moment. His thumb running across my engagement ring.

"I love you."

Strange moment for those words, but I return them just the same. "Love you too, babe. I'll be back in," I move his hand to see his watch, "fifteen minutes and then we can go home." He nods in return, releasing my hand.

Home. This odd form of domestic life between the two of us has been nice, reminding me a lot of when I had my accident. But, I'm ready for this to be our normal without it being caused by medical emergencies. Until I know one way or another as far as Pops is concerned, this will be the norm. A constant longing for a traditional relationship, almost within touching distance before another hiccup comes our way.

I round the corner just before Pop's room, seeing a nurse and doctor walk out of his room.

"Miss Lucas, I was on my way to find you," the redhead says with a mile wide smile.

I take her smile as a good sign and yet still the following words fall from my lips. "Is everything okay?"

She shares a look with the doctor. "Take a look for yourself," the doctor motions with his head towards Pop's room.

Another step forward and I'm able to see him through the outer glass. My hand clasps over my mouth, a shrill of surprise coming forth as I see him sitting in an upright position in bed, his eyes open. I feel the nurse place her hand on my arm, rubbing it gently. "He asked for you."

I can no longer hold back my tears, turning away from the glass facing the nurses station. My shoulders shake as I sob silently into my hand. This sob completely different from all others I've experienced the last few days. The amount of relief my body has been longing for escaping through my tears.

The nurse doesn't leave my side. However, we both burst out laughing when we hear, "Ope, you get your tail in here!" called out from inside the room.

"Hold your horses, old man?" I call out over my shoulder as I wipe away the tears streaking my face. "You decent?"

"Never, so get in here!"

I sniffle once more, using the back of my hand to wipe at my nose. I give my head a quick shake, a deep breath and turn on my heels to go through his door. I try to keep my steps even, but after just two I can't help but pick up my speed before practically falling onto his chest.

"Oh, Ope." And the tears start all over again as his hand sits against my hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris POV

"They're gonna move him tomorrow. Said it'll probably be around 10, after they do a couple tests. So, we won't have to go up until closer to then since he won't be in his room."

I'm listening in awe as Opal tells me the newest information on our drive to her house. "That's incredible," I say still in shock.

Opal's excitement a complete contrast to just days ago, and yet mirrors the joy she had on her face as we were preparing to get married. "Are you going to tell him?" I ask as I pull up to her house, putting her car in park.

She turns to look at me. "Tell him what?" Her face is serious, questioning what I'm asking.

"About us?"

She giggles behind her smile. "He already knows about us, silly." She pushes the door open and steps out of the car. I follow her lead, just not as much pep in my step as hers.

"Not exactly what I meant, Opal." She stops just shy of unlocking her front door before walking back to meet me at her steps.

"About that," she whispers, taking my hand in hers. "Can we talk?"

Her voice is laden with concern, making me nervous. I feel the lines form in my forehead as my brows get tighter, nodding my head. "Sure." I take the keys from her hands and unlock the door, putting my hand on her back to guide her inside.

"Hungry?" she asks me, moving towards the kitchen.

I follow behind her before stopping and leaning over onto her island, my forearms resting against the granite. "Not at the moment."

I watch her flit around the kitchen grabbing the leftovers and reheating them before walking to meet me. She stops in front of me, pursing her lips out. "Can I help you?" I ask, teasing her.

"Was I not obvious enough?" she asks, crossing her arms over her chest.

I shrug my shoulders, shaking my head side to side. "Nope."

She then puckers her lips and bats her eyes at me.

"You alright over there, Ope?" I question her, still ignoring her efforts. I scratch just over my lip with the back of my thumb nail.

She groans and stomps her foot. "Damn it, Sergeant! Would you just kiss me?"

With those words I push back off the island moving quickly to her. Grabbing her hips I pull her towards me, crushing my lips against her own. A small moan escapes her lips as my tongue teases against her own. Her hands grip against my biceps, attempting to keep her in place as I can tell her knees are beginning to shake. My left hand instinctively moves to her hair before I pull away. "And you say I'm demanding. All you had to do was ask."

Looking at her features makes my heart race more than the kiss. Her lips already slightly swollen, a harsher pink than just a minute ago. That glorious sparkle clouding her eyes, filling my own heart with happiness. Her cheeks tinged red by heat and desire. Moving both hands to cup her face, my thumbs run softly against her cheekbones before placing a gentle kiss against her lips.

"I'll remember that for future reference," she chuckles against my lips as I hold her close against me, enjoying her warmth.

The moment interrupted by the microwave ding. "Sure you're not hungry?" Opal begins dishing a plate for herself. I tell her I'm alright for now before following her to the couch.

Opal curls up on one side, sitting back against the arm rest as I sit down next to her. "So, what did you want to talk about?"

She takes a couple of forkfuls of food before finally answering. "Do you think we can get married in like, a month?"

Okay, not what I was expecting if I'm being honest. "Really?" The corner of my lip turning up, giving her a crooked smile.

"Yeah. I mean, if the doctor thinks Pops doesn't have much time left then I'd like to do it soon."

"I'll check my schedule. I may only be able to get here for a day, but it'll be a day well spent," I assure her, placing my hand on her jean clad leg.

She stabs another bite of food before offering it to me. "I promise to make it worth it," she says as I take the bite.

"Promises are meant to be kept," I remind her, quirking my brow and giving her the smirk I know she's grown to love.

"Lucky for you," she starts, taking another bite, "I learned to keep my promises from the best there ever was."

I lean my head back on the couch, rubbing her leg with my hand. 'Lucky me, indeed.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~