.10.

Opal POV

The girls left my office about ten minutes ago to head back to the party. I've just remained sitting behind my desk, staring at my computer screen, my walls, out the window that overlooks the back patio. Basically trying to find anything to keep me from going back to the event.

I need to be honest with myself. I am incredibly attracted to Chris. I don't think there's a woman walking this earth that would not find the man hot. I don't know him, not really. We spoke only a bit at the bar that night and even less at the concert. He seems nice, gentlemanly. Maybe stubborn. No not maybe, definitely stubborn. I think what is holding my interest most about the situation is that even after I said no, he still attempted to pursue me. Not in a creepy, weird, guy that doesn't understand the word no kind of way. But in a genuine way, seeking to know me.

So, here's the question at hand. Do I act nonchalant, like he's not completely working his way towards a yes? Do I ignore him the best that I can? Keep my fears over the situation at bay? I can't get involved in anything long distance. I won't. But, then again, who says he still wants a yes? This man is a 10 and there will be other single women present at the wedding. He's probably mingling with them right now.

Decision made. Everyone stays at arms length this weekend. I'll speak when spoken to but will not seek him out specifically. That should do it. Just like at the bar. I didn't seek him out, he sought me out. That means something though, right? He even came out of the bar to find me.

Good grief. How much longer do I have until I can slink out to the carriage house? I glance up at the clock on my wall. It's only 8:30 pm. I have at least another hour and a half. I can't hide in here forever, can I? And with that thought, right on time, my phone alerts me to a text.

Lily- You planning on hiding away all night?

Me- The thought has crossed my mind. Why? What's up?

Lily- Jameson just officially introduced me to him. He seems like a sweetheart, Ope.

Me- That doesn't matter.

Lily- He's hanging out with the other groomsmen now. You're in the clear, come join us. We're on the back patio.

I look out the window to check and see. Lily is glaring right at my office window even though the blinds are almost totally closed and she can't see in.

Me- Fine.

I walk over to the door, stopping to look at myself in the full length mirror that hangs on the back of it. I take a deep breath, roll my shoulders back and open the door. There's not a quick direct way to the back patio without going through the rest of the area where the party is taking place. I stay focused on the mission at hand: get outside without being stopped.

My first step through the dining room brings me face to face with him as Chris is rounding the corner at the same time. "Oh. I'm sorry. Excuse me," I apologize. "No apology necessary," he responds but I keep moving forward.

I made the first big mistake this weekend, and glanced over my shoulder. Looking back at me are those heavenly blue eyes, crinkled by that smug smile again. I look back ahead of me even though I feel like I'm being watched.

There's no more obstacles to keep me from the back patio. Once outside I release a breath and feel my body starting to relax. "Opal! Over here," Rae calls out to me.

I walk as quickly as these heels allow me to. As soon as I join the girls, they start in on me.

"He's gorgeous!"