.62.

Apparently my idea of flirting had diminished in recent years, only coming up a little more recently when I met Opal. Even then, it wasn't my best, more so just talking, joking around and getting to know her.

So, I guess I had forgotten the two universal forms of flirting: smiling and eye contact.

Damn it.

The brunette continues her strut towards our table, adding a bit more of sway into her hips, as she somewhat teeters on her heels. She's attempting confidence even though I can tell that's not really her thing. Makes me think about Opal's effortless ability to come across as confident even when she doesn't feel that way. It's nothing she has to try for, it's just a natural ability.

"Well, well," Cooper mutters under his breath, only loud enough for those of us at the table to hear. I notice the grimace that crosses his face as Janie uses her foot under the table to kick at him. I guess there is something going on there. Still too weird to me.

  "Excuse me." The high pitch voice coming from the brunette who is now leaning both palms onto our table.

  Janie speaks up first. "Can we help you?"

  The woman doesn't acknowledge Janie, but angles towards me a bit more. "You're that cop aren't you? The one that got shot in the big drug bust."

  "That's him alright," Cooper tells her, a smile across his face, seemingly missing the glare I toss his way.

  "I'd recognize those ocean eyes anywhere," she says. "But I've gotta say, they're even better in person." She leans over a bit further, attempting to give me a closer look at her plunging neckline. "Can I buy the hero a drink?"

  Never in my life have I been more thrilled by the vibrating phone in my pocket. "Excuse me," I say as I stand, pull out the cell and walk away, breathing out in relief as Opal's name flashes across the screen.

  "Hi gorgeous," I answer the call.

  "Hey handsome," she responds. "How's the night out going?"

  "It's, well, it's going," I stammer out. "That's about all I can say at this point."

  "I didn't want to interrupt, I just wanted to hear your voice. I'll let you go," she starts.

  "No!" I yell out as I walk completely out of the bar. "Please don't go yet. Tell me about your day." In a weird way I'm hoping that the longer I can keep her on the phone the Minnie Mouse sounding woman will have left our table and shimmied off to another.

  Opal giggles over the phone. "You sound a little off, officer Evans. What's going on?"

  "Just some unwanted attention," I admit, leaving out the part that I may have inadvertently caused it myself. 

  "Oh, really. Someone hitting on you," she asks confidently. 

  "Something like that." I groan as I see the door to Decker's open with the brunette looking around. She notices me and begins her walk over. "Play along to whatever comes out of my mouth right now, okay?"

  "No, babe. Don't wear the black one. What do you mean why? Because your butt looks better in the red. You know I can't keep my hands off of you when you wear that red dress." This is not all a complete lie as Opal's butt looks amazing in everything. "Baby, you can't say those kinds of things when I can't be there with you," I moan out, and yet the brunette still stands in front of me.  I pause, listening to Opal chuckle on the other side. She's gonna rag me for this, so I might as well go big. "Sounds like you're asking for a punishment. I'll be home in fifteen. You know what to do." I'm having trouble keeping my own laughter at bay as I hang up.