.160.

Chris POV

 I knock on the glass storm door before noticing the doorbell. A quick push sends off a ringing through the house. I take a step back and wait. Finally, I hear a very faint "It's open," yelled from somewhere in the house. 

  With a strong pull on the storm door, I prop it open with my back while pushing open the wooden door. "Laura?" I call out from the entry way.

  "Kitchen!"

  I take a walk around the living room, past the stairs and into the kitchen. "Hey, Chris!" she says with a smile as she continues to cut up the lettuce for a salad. I come up beside her, kissing her on the cheek. "Glad you could make it."

  "Thanks for the invite. What can I help with?" I ask looking around the kitchen, taking inventory.

  Laura slices through the last of the lettuce before washing off the tomatoes. "I'm good here. Spencer's outside with the grill if you want to head out back." 

  With a small nod I head to the back door. A slide to the left opens the glass and I'm met with the smell from the barbeque.  "Hey, man!" Spencer calls out from the patio. He closes the grill top before grabbing his beer bottle from the side table. "Want one? Cooler is full."

  Since I'm not on call or shift tonight I decide I might as well have one. With a flick of my wrist I open the cooler, noticing it is almost completely full. "How many you expecting tonight, Spence?"

  He takes a seat, motioning for me to join him around the table. "Just a couple friends," he admits before taking another sip. Oddly enough, I notice he's not really looking me in the eye. I nod, leaving the conversation at that. 

  Another two weeks have passed since the gender reveal, along with the last time I saw or talked to Opal. While I've made efforts to call or text, she's not responding. Messages sitting on delivered and voicemails going unanswered. 

  "Laura tell you we bought a crib?"

  I shake my head, pulling the cap off my drink. "She did not. You starting on all that now?" 

  "Seems like it's as good a time as any. She's usually so tired and swollen from being on her feet all day so when we're here together it's basically me working and her supervising," he chuckles. 

  I laugh along with him, relaxing back in the chair. "I imagine she's pretty good at that."

  "Not quite Lily level, but pretty close on some days." 

  Our conversation is interrupted as we hear the doorbell ring once again. Spencer doesn't make a move to get up, continuing to tell me about how he's painting that baby's room. I listen intently, doing my best to keep my cool although it's all making my  heart ache knowing that Opal and I should be at least entertaining this type of discussion ourselves. 

  I notice Spencer's vision shift to over my shoulder, towards the sliding door. He gives a little 'come here' wave before I hear the door opening. "You made it!" he exclaims, jumping up from his seat.

  I glance over my shoulder, remaining seated. I notice Laura, one hand resting on her belly, a slight look of confusion on her face. Spencer pulls someone into a hug, and by the look of the hands wrapped around his back I'd definitely say it's a female. He pulls back, revealing a petite, brunette with curls pouring over her shoulders. "It's not everyday I get to see my brother!" she squeals. "It's been what, like a year and a half?"

  "Something like that. Skipped out on my wedding even." He turns to Laura now, putting one hand on her hip. "I guess you've met my wife, Laura."

  "I did!" She reaches over and grabs Laura's hand. "Thankfully she recognized me from photos or she might've called you to come with your gun."