.30.

Opal POV

The ride back to Magnolia felt a bit different. I felt more at ease, not as nervous as I had been earlier.

"Did you enjoy our first official date?" Chris asks as we come to a stop light.

I find myself humming, a sign of contentment. "Best 'first' date ever." I choose to use air quotes around first because let's face it, we've already had multiple dates without calling it what it was.

"Air quotes? Really?"

"You and I both know that all the times we've been alone could easily be considered dates," I tell him.

"I seem to recall that I tried that approach with you already, and was shot down rather quickly I might add," he points out to me as the light turns green.

"I seem to recall, no such thing." I lie through my teeth finding it increasingly difficult to hold back a smile so I move my hand to rest over my mouth, elbow on the car door.

"Wonder if I need to refresh your memory then, sweetheart," he begins. "The Mexican place after taking you over to the hospital. The Arts Market that we spent the afternoon at after visiting Pops. The limo ride to the rehearsal, and I'm gonna say it, the walk home from the rehearsal including falling asleep together on the patio-"

"You make me sound like a hussy, Evans. It's not like I actually 'slept' with you," I interrupt.

"Which is why I said falling asleep. Now quit interrupting, woman," he jokes. "There was the wedding, which obviously we were each others date. You just need to stop denying it."

"Wow. You're right," I begin to tease him. "I mean that's already five dates. Guess the honeymoon phase is over then. Just pecks on the lips and a goodnight for you now."

He lifts one hand off the steering wheel. "Whoa now, hold on. You can't say that because we're still in the getting to know you phase. Last I checked you weren't keen on the relationship aspect." He pauses, glancing over to me. "Unless you've changed your mind?" There goes the eyebrow again.

I felt the shift. The conversation going from joking to serious even if his demeanor and tone is still lively in our banter. No, it's shifted. But honestly so have my feelings.

He takes note of my change, but doesn't push anything. I know we need to have a talk but the night has been too wonderful and I'm afraid of putting everything I'm feeling out there, so I bite back my words for a little longer.

The journey back to the Inn is quiet, the sounds of the radio playing are all that can be heard although I'm shocked he can't hear the loud thumping coming from my chest as it resounds in my own ears.

Chris breaks the silence as we pull down the drive to Magnolia. "I know that I don't really have a place to be saying this, but I'd be more comfortable if you'd stay inside tonight, instead of in the carriage house."

My brow furrows. "Why do you say that?"

He puts the car in park, the lot completely empty. "I've been around enough trauma, big and small, to know that you're still going to have moments of fear or even nightmares when you sleep. I won't know if you need me if you're all the way across the yard in a separate house."

I find myself wanting to argue the fact that I'm an independent woman that doesn't actually need a man, but looking back in his soft eyes I know that's not what he's insinuating. His honesty and concern is truly bewildering to me. The only person to ever show this amount of concern for me has been Pops, so hearing it from the handsome young man in front of me is surprising to say the least. But yet from what Chris has shown me, it shouldn't shock me at all. I'm sad to say that I truly expected the wedding weekend to be the end of the chase. Yet, here he is, rescuing me again.