.7.

Opal POV

   We've been sitting, listening to Lily go over each and every single detail concerning the wedding weekend that officially begins in just two days. Our dinner started at 6 pm. It's now 9:30 and I think we've only made it to the morning of the ceremony.

   The owner of the pizza joint we frequent keeps looking over and catching our eye. He skillfully taps his watch letting us know he'd like to close on time tonight. I just send him a pleading look hoping he gets the hint that he'll have to be the one to push us out the door.

   Rae keeps yawning next to me, trying to make a point that she'd like to go home to the comfort of her bed. Lily is oblivious. Laura starts in on the eye daggers, pointed directly at me. These girls depend on me way too much to play bad cop.

   I give up and clap my hands together, interrupting Lily mid sentence. She glares at me for the interruption. "Let's go back to my place for ice cream? Or I've got leftover cheesecake Mila made for dessert last night."

   "Sounds great!"

   "Oh, I love her cheesecake!"

    Laura and Rae know exactly what I'm trying to do so they're enthusiastic with their responses. Lily just doesn't appreciate the fact that I butted into her planning. She huffs but slides out of the booth.

   "Thanks Vinny!" I shout back at the owner before we exit. He mouths a grateful 'thank you' while blowing us a kiss.

   Fifteen minutes later we are all sprawled around my living room with tubs of ice cream and plates of cheesecake. Lily has effectively picked up right where we left off.

   "We've got reservations at a salon downtown near the museum. They'll do hair and makeup there and then we'll go directly to the museum."

   The ceremony and reception are both taking place at The Cummer in Jacksonville. The museum is stunning. The ceremony will take place in the outside garden that overlooks the river.

   "How's my plus one working out?" Laura asks.

   "I thought I told you. There's no room," Lily reminds her.

   "You can have Pop's seat," I tell Laura. Lily looks at me, shocked. "He has a treatment the day before. He doesn't think he'll be up to coming."

   "Well that sucks. I'll miss him. I was hoping he'd save me a dance," Lily says sadly.

   Pops is my grandfather. He's been that type of figure for our whole group.  Of course Lily has known him longer than the other girls. He use to pick us up early from school at least twice a month and take us for ice cream.

   "I'll tell him he owes you one the next time I see him."

   "How's he doing, anyway?" Rae asks taking another bite of cheesecake.

   How to answer this question without crying? I curl my fingers into my palm, pushing my nails into my skin. "He's hanging in there. Said if treatments don't work this round then he's done."  The pain from my nails keep the tears at bay.

Each of the girls demeanor changes. I'd kept this from them the last couple of months, normally just answering with 'he's doing okay.' But now that this round of treatments is almost over, I need to be honest with them.

I see Lily wiping at her eyes. "Sorry," I tell her. "I wasn't going to tell you until after the wedding but I knew you'd wonder where he was."

"It's okay. Just shocked. I've always believed he'd outlive us all."