.80.

Chris POV

  I can feel my heart completely stop as soon as I hear the screeching tires and loud thud before the phone goes dead. "Opal!" I scream into the phone even though I know the effort is completely useless. 

  I turn around clutching the phone in my hand, seeing Jameson walking out of the clubhouse. My feet now paralyzed in place. "Chris, what's going on?"

  I look between his face and the phone that sits in my hand, back and forth, back and forth. "I, uh, I think Opal was just in an accident."

  He moves quickly to reach my side, Anthony following closely as well. "What do you mean? Where was she?" 

  "Downtown. She, uh," I'm having trouble focusing. "She said she and Ma were looking at some shops near the spa."  

  "Okay, you try calling your mom and I'll try Opal," Jameson offers. 

  I tap my phone twice before the phone tries to connect to my mother's phone. Busy. I hang up and dial quickly again. "It's busy."

  Jameson says he's not getting an answer from Opal either. "Get in the car. It's just ten minutes up the road."  I practically dive into the passenger seat as Anthony climbs into the back seat. I continue to try and reach my mom but as I can feel the bile start to rise in my throat I know I have to pause and collect myself. I point the air conditioning vents in my direction before I lean my head back on the seat. "Just breathe, Chris. I'm sure everything's fine." 

  "You don't get it. I heard squealing tires and a thud, Jameson. Something happened to Opal," I all but yell at him. 

  "Try not to let your mind go there, man," Anthony says from the backseat. 

  I lean up in my seat, elbows on my knees holding my head in my hands, trying to think about anything except my fears. Suddenly my phone goes off. 

  "Ma! What happened?"

  "It's Opal, Chris. She was hit by a car."

  "Where are you? Where is she?" I ask as quickly as I can, hoping to receive answers just as fast. 

  "The ambulance just left. They said something about a hospital that specializes in brain injuries."

  "Oh no. No, no, no!" What little resolve I had has gone. The phone slips from my  hand as I hit my head against the back of the seat, over and over. 

  I don't even realize that Jameson has grabbed the phone off of my lap. I hear his voice, but can no longer recognize any words spoken. 

  I'm gonna lose her, I think to myself.

 I'll never get to propose to her. To see her eyes fill with tears as she realizes that she's been my number one since our first conversation at Decker's.

I'll never get to marry her. To see her walk down an aisle. For us to pledge our love to one another in front of everyone we love.

I'll never have a  family with her. To see us create our own legacy together.

I don't want any part of an existence that does not include Opal Lucas.  

My chest gets tighter with every thought that runs wild through my mind. 

  Without my permission I feel my fist make contact with Jameson's dashboard. "Evans!" he shouts back at me. "You need to calm down. Now," he demands. "We're headed to her now. Get it together."

  In my entire life I've never reacted this way, over anything. As angry as I've gotten over so many arrests or Cooper's loud mouth, my fists have never made contact with anything outside of a punching bag.