.28.

Chris POV

   When Opal ended the phone call I knew there was only one thing I could do. I needed to see with my own eyes that she was okay, because her voice was deceiving her words. And somehow I have a feeling she needs me just as much as I need her right now. Or at least that's my hope anyways.

   I make a phone call to the station, searching to get in touch with my Sargent. After requesting a couple of days off for personal matters I toss a quick bag together and head south. It's after midnight so I'm hopeful the roads will be relatively clear and not hinder the six hour drive ahead of me. 

   Not ten minutes into my drive, my phone rings. "Hey Spence, how is she?"

  "She's a bit out of it, I think. We just got back to Laura's. Opal is showering and I think heading to bed." Spencer has a sound of concern coming through his voice. 

   "Listen," I start, "I'm heading down now. I should get in around seven. Don't tell her I'm coming though. I know her well enough to know that she'd bless me out and tell me not to come."

  "Okay, if you're sure it's what you need to do."

  I think about how crazy it all sounds. I've known Opal for just under a month and already she's consuming my thoughts, being a direct link to the decisions I make over my life. I told her to throw out math and logic, looks like I did weeks ago. "I have to."

  "Laura," I hear Spencer call her over. "Chris is leaving Atlanta. He should be here by morning, but he doesn't want Opal to know. Is that alright?"

   "I think it's perfect," I hear her say. "She needs him." My heart swells at the words that I'm not sure I was meant to actually hear. 

  "Did you catch that?" Spencer asks me.

  I nod my head even though he can't see me. "Yeah, man. I'm about to get gas and a cup of coffee. Hopefully I won't have to make any other stops. I'll see you all soon."

  ~~~~~

   Me- I'm about five minutes away from Laura's.

Spencer- Ok. She just went up to change. She's planning on heading to the Inn, so you might want to hurry.

Me- See if Laura can keep her occupied a bit longer.

  The GPS tells me I'm five minutes away, but I safely make it in three. I leave my stuff in the car, hurrying for the door and tapping lightly. I'm greeted by Spencer who motions with his head for me to come in and follow him.

   "Laura went to tell her Rae came by with donuts trying to get her to stay a bit longer," he tells me.

   I move into the kitchen just in time to hear both women coming down the stairs. "I need to grab something from the living room. I'll meet you in the kitchen," Laura says. 

  I turn my body to angle directly towards the entrance of the kitchen, waiting to see Opal enter. As soon as she turns the corner she stops, her eyes wide in surprise.

  "Hi gorgeous."

  I can barely lift my foot to take a step towards her before she's throwing herself into my arms. I hold her tightly against me as she matches my embrace. Out of the corner of my eye I see Spencer and Laura both exit out of the front door, giving us our space. 

  Moments pass, before I pull back slightly, Opal mirroring my own actions. My thumbs brushing gently over her cheeks, wiping away the stray tears that have fallen. "You came," she mumbles quietly. 

   Leaning ever so slightly I place a warm kiss to her forehead. "I had to know you were okay for myself," I rest my own forehead against hers.