5.20

Side story:

In the barren world far away from the capital of the empire, after countless wars and disasters made by the citizens almost destroyed the world they were living in. There is a single detached place where children who managed to survive all those calamities were gathered to ensure the survival of humanity in that world however due to lack of resources and supplies to support their lives, many died from hunger or illnesses and only few were favored for their talents and aptitudes. It can be called an orphanage.

In the corner of the almost destroyed building, small children was cooped together because of the cold. Not far away from them was smaller children laying on the snow and not moving, their skin has turned blue showing signs of hypothermia. They were wearing thin and loose dress given to them by one of the supervisors of the place.

In the harsh winter, they were left here to fend for their selves as they were sick and useless according to the words of the adults. Still, they were trying their hardest to survive in this unfair world. Some of the children are having a hard time breathing and glassy eyes as they stare at the boisterous party inside the warm and bright building. From what they heard from the adults who came to take the unmoving children here was that, there's a very noble guests coming to adopt a child. They were very excited and hope that the child they were appointed to care for will be chosen then they will receive countless blessings!

One of the children huddled together move his glassy eyes away from the bright building onto the darkness of the night as the blizzard looks to be getting stronger. He was also having hard breathing, he can't move his feet and fingers properly. He feels weak and stiff, still he has better complexion than most of the children around him as he was smaller and protected by them. He was the only youngest children who managed to survive until now, some of them was already taken to be disposed of. The older children took pity to him and covered him from the cold.

He's grateful but...

At this rate, they were the one going to die first...

He gasped as his small hand gripped tighter to the older child beside him with shallow breathing fell to his side, he looked up to see that the older child has already closed eyes and blue lips. He bit his lips hard as tried to move his hands to try and wake the older child but failed as he can't move anymore...

What should he do...

They're all dead now...

He stared at the bright building blankly as tears failed to fall from his eyes. He has cried many times before but no one would care even if he cried blood here...

They just wanted to live!

Just what right do they have to deprived them of that!?

He took a deep breath and gently pushed the lifeless bodies of the older children who protected him until the end, although he felt weak and stiff, he tried his hest to move and gently lay them on the cold ground and helped some of them to close their eyes. He staggered and fell on the snow, he gasped as he find it really hard to breathe. It's too cold. So cold...

But he can't die here yet...!

He has to live for the others lives to not be a redundant sacrifice.

He tried to stand up again and use the cold wall as support and walked towards the bright and warm building. He somehow has to meet someone to help him live, this will be his last chance in life to survive..

Slowly walking and heavy breathing, his feet and hands are too numb, he can't feel them anymore. Still, he was slowly moving. In the night of a blizzard storm, a small child was slowly walking out of the darkness and into the flickering hope he has yet to grasped.