Bullied But Protected

"Ouch" You said, as another person shoved your shoulder.

"Watch where you're going. idiot." The person muttered, glaring as they walked away.

You clutched onto your books, making your way to your next class. It was your second week at your new school and you still couldn't understand why everyone was being horrible to you. You stayed quiet throughout most of your classes, you didn't step on anyone's toes, you basically hadn't changed anything at all. Despite this, everyone was rude to you.

You made it to your next class sitting next to a boy with curly hair and big green eyes. You couldn't deny that he was beautiful but you tried hard not to stare. He'd probably just be horrible like everyone else.

To your surprise, he gave you a big goofy smile and extended his hand.

You shook it with a small smile.

"I'm Harry." He said, holding your hand still.

"(Y/N)" You replied, finding it hard to look him in the eye. He was beautiful, but you couldn't help but feel like this was a set up. There was no way he was being this nice, just because.

"That's a nice name." He said as you sat down and he let go of your hand. "You're new right?"

"Yeah." You said, knowing that the insults were coming.

"Oh." He nodded, continuing with his work.

As the class dragged on, there wasn't much talk from Harry. He sat there doing his work, giving an occaional smile when he could see you looking at him.

All of a sudden you felt something soft hit the back of your head. You turned around to see a bunch of girls laughing as they scrunched up pieces of paper and threw them at you.

You tried to sit there and ignore it but it was getting to you. Harry looked up, seeing the annoyed look on your face.

"What's wrong?" He said, concern writen on his features.

"Nothing." You said as another piece of paper came flying towards your head but missed slightly.

Harry rolled his eyes. "Layla, knock it off!" He looked at the girl and she furrowed her brows.

"Knock what off, Harry?" She said, playing innocent.

"You know what." With that, she flipped her fringe and began focusing on her work again.

"Ignore her." He whispered to you. "She's just a bit bitter."

You nodded, just wanting this class to be over more than anything.

For the next few days you sat next to Harry whenever you could. He was the only person that was nice to you. On the first few days he greeted you with a handshake, the next few days it was that and some sort of lame joke which made you laugh and then eventually he started greeting you with hugs.

It had been a couple of weeks since you had met Harry and as you walked into the classroom he greeted you with the same dorky smile and big hug that he had greeted you with before.

You sat down next to him. Talking about random topics. The girls at the back of the class still murmured about you and occaisionally would throw things. Today however, it was particularly bad.

One of the girls walked passed you, accidently tripping over your school bag, but catching herself. You looked up at her as she death glared you.

"She's such a skank." You heard a girl say. You knew they were talking about you.

"Yeah. I can't stand her." Another girl said. A couple of other girls started throwing pencils at you.

You could feel everything buildng up under your skin. You wanted to cry, or scream at them but you knew that would just make it worse.

"I need to go to the bathroom." You said, standing up and running out before your teacher had a chance to say anything. You ran outside the building, onto the school oval and sat under a tree catching your breath.
You heard the bell go and then a minute later, two of the girls came down, spotting you near the tree. You scrambled to you feet, about to walk away when one of the girls blocked your path.

"Where do you think you're going?" She said, grabbing your wrist.

"D-don't" You said, trying to pull your arm back. The other girl grabbed your shoulders and shoved you against the tree.

You recognised her. She was the girl that had tripped over your bag, Layla.

"Listen, you embarrassed me in front of my friends and my ex."

Your eyes widened. "I'm sorry, I didn't know he was your ex, I'll stay away from him !"

She grabbed your hair, pulling it so that your head jerked back. "You better, but I can't take the chance that you won't."

She hit you across the face. "This is me sending you a message. Stay out of my way and don't. Go. Near. Him."

"I'm sorry, I won't go near him again."

"Layla!" You heard a deep voice.

"Harry?" She turned around startled. "I was just... um."

"You were just leaving." He said.

Layla pulled her hand away from you, giving Harry a stern look. "Why are you siding with her babe?"

"Don't 'babe' me. I saw everything you just did and I think that you need to leave (Y/N) alone, or else." He subconsciously clenched his fist. His expression was angry

.

"Or else what?" Layla laughed. "You're going to hit me? Go ahead, you'll have my boyfriend to deal with."

"I was actually going to say 'Leave (Y/N) alone or else I'll tell your boyfriend that you blew Jayden in the boys bathroom.'"

She scoffed, rollng her eyes. "You wouldn't."

"Oh, I would." He replied, not missing a beat.

She walked off with her friend behind her.

"Thank you." You said through tears as he pulled you in for a hug.
He tightened his grip on you. "It's okay. I brought all your stuff down from the classroom."

After a short silence, he pulled away slightly and spoke up.

"Were you serious about the whole staying away from me thing... because... well I'd kind of like to hang out with you a little more."

You smiled as he kissed you on the forehead.
"I would too." You replied.

-Muskaan