By Your Side

You are known as Harry’s go to girl. The best friend who he tells all his secrets to, and the one who he loves so much, that he’d do anything for you. He’d always come to your events you’ve had with your family and play with your baby relatives, and they all loved him. So did you.

It’s a cold winter night, and you and Harry just got out of the cafe. You both walk out laughing, the hot air from your mouths escaping making a smoke cloud. Your arms were linked together as you both walked down the sidewalk

Harry- “You know I never forgot about that.” He laughed about the current conversation you were having.

You were just a few blocks away from your house when someone shouted your name. It was some jerk who you’ve, in the past, had a relationship, more like a one night relationship, with. (Just going to make up a name) Dan.

Dan- “Heeey sexy lady.”

You rolled your eyes and quickly yanked Harry to hurry up, making his mass of curls bounce through the wind.

Dan- “Hey don’t run from me.” He yelled after you.

You continued to walk ignoring the jerk face behind you.

Harry- “Is everything okay?” You heard his voice say but ignored.

Then harry stopped from the unruly thing Dan had said to you.

Harry- “That’s no way to speak to her, or any other lady.” He said.

Dan- “I wasn’t talking to you, why don’t you go home?”

You could tell Harry wasn’t playing or had no intension of hurting him, but if he had to, he would.

Harry- “Come on.” He said holding back from him, pushing you to you doorstep that was just inches away.

Dan- “I’ll be by later, sweet pea. I see you already have company, but no one can do it like me.” He said talking about that one night, long ago. “It’s been along time but you still want it.”

Harry quickly spun around and swing his fist at him missing his face, giving Dan the better target to Harry’s face. You gasped and jumped as you saw this happen. He was about to punch again but you ran up to him and shoved him from standing over Harry.

You- “Hey! Get away, you dumb fuck.” You felt your body get warm and tense.

You see him walk towards you and you pick up a plastic bat that was laying on the ground and hit him in the mid area with it. He falls to the ground in pain, but you couldn’t help but want to do more damage than you already did, but didn’t. You look down at Harry who was still laying on the ground shocked. You helped him up and as soon as he got up, he footed Dan in his stomach.

Harry- “Learn how to speak to a lady.” He said as you grab a hold of his arm and pull him towards your door and unlocked it.

You guide him in and take off your coat.

You- “Harry, you idiot. What is wrong with you? He could have hurt you.” You said.

Harry- “I am hurt.” He sasses back.

You take off his coat and lay it on the back of the couch.

You- “Sit.” You demanded as you went to get a frozen bag of peas.

He sits on the couch and twiddles his fingers, almost in a trance. You come back and sit beside him. You place the frozen bag on his eye and rest it there.

You- “I’m so sorry Harry.”

Harry- “You don’t need to apologize. You didn’t do anything. I’d wish you stop apologizing for stuff you didn’t do.” He said, his voice stern.

You leave his emerald eyes to wander.

Harry- “….I don’t mind anyway.” He said, his voice a little softer now. “If I did it for you, I don’t mind.”

You- “That’s stupid.” You smiled. “Does this feel any better?” You asked referring to his swollen emerald colored eye.

Harry- “It would of it was on the right side.” He laughed.

You laughed and moved to the other side of him, kissing his cheek and place the bag on the other eye.

Harry- “And that….felt much better.” He said.

You smiled not knowing what exactly he was talking about, as you focused on his eye, trying not to put too much pressure.

He interlocks his fingers with your hand and pulls the one with the bag down and interlocks them too. He looks into your eyes.

Harry- “I wasn’t talking about the ice.” He said.

Your heart beated louder as he stared at you. Thinking of a time when you weren’t so sure he would ever want to, he kissed you. It felt like he wasn’t sure if he should have but he did. He slowly pulled away, using caution. You quickly pull him closer by his shirt and kiss him again. He brushes his fingers against your cheek, his touch so gentle. Letting go of your lips he whispers to you….

Harry- “I love you.” He said as you both pressed your foreheads together.

You- “I love you too.”

A few minutes in this position was all you needed. You knew this was it. The one you can keep by your side…….your one true love.

-Muskaan xx