Double Dose

You sat on the edge of your hospital bed, working through a particularly painful contraction, hands out on either side of you, bracing yourself. You leaned forward as the pain started to peak, trying to rock your hips in an effort to ease the discomfort. Squeezing your eyes shut, a low moan escaping your lips, followed by a string of whimpers. You had made it full term with the twins, and had decided to yet again go with a natural birth. You felt Harry crouch down in front of you, and you grasped both of his hands in a death grip, squeezing so tightly, they were nearly turning purple.

"Breathe it away, love," he murmured softly, his voice a bit tight from the pressure on his hands. “It’s almost done." He kept his eyes on the monitor, watching as the contraction peaked and then slowly descended. You took a couple deep breaths, relaxing your grip on Harry’s hands. "Okay, you alright?" Harry whispered warily, not taking his eyes from you.

You nodded a little, slowly opening your eyes. “Yeah.”

Harry grabbed the cup of water from the table beside the bed, helping to guide the straw to your lips.

There was a tap on the door and you’re midwife poked her head in.

"How are we doing in here? Getting a little more uncomfortable?" She stood with her hands on her hips, surveying the scene before her.

You nodded. “Mm hm.”

"Well, maybe we should try getting you up and walking a little, since your waters haven’t broken yet, that might help move things along a little more quickly." You had been in labor nearly fourteen hours at this point. And anything to help speed it along, you were willing to try.

You nodded, and Harry got up quickly, taking both of your hands to help you stand, making sure you were steady, you held on to his arm tightly, Harry adjusted your hospital gown sleeve as it fell from your shoulder. You had to move slowly, pressing yourself into Harry’s side. You did a couple laps around the maternity floor, having to stop and lean on Harry each time a contraction would start. You gripped his shoulders, and he helped you rock your hips, keeping his hands on your hips lightly swaying with you through the wave of pain.

"Oh, God," you groaned.

"Keep breathing, love," he whispered, keeping the rocking motion steady between you. “I’ve got you."

You suddenly felt a wave of pressure between your legs and then a pop and gush of warm wetness lapped down your thighs into a puddle at your feet.

Both you and Harry looked down and then back up at each other.

"My waters just broke," you whispered.

Harry nodded, eyes going wide. “That it did.”

***

After four more hours of walking, swaying, pacing, and Harry massaging your back, you couldn’t contain your constant string of moans anymore, the contractions right on top of each other now.

"Oh, Harry!" you groaned through gritted teeth, grasping his hands as tightly as you could, from where you were sitting on a birthing ball.

Harry sat on a stool in front of you. “I know, I know,” he murmured, pressing a kiss to your forehead.

"I-I can’t do this anymore!" you started to sob. “I can’t. I just-I just wanna go home, and I wanna see Darcy!" You were crying hysterically now, the tears flowing freely down your cheeks, losing all resolve you’d had previously.

Harry nodded, pulling you forward slightly against his chest. “I know, I know you do, love.” He stroked your hair lightly with his fingers, his voice thick with tears from seeing you in so much pain and discomfort. “We’re going to do this together, alright? I’m not going anywhere. You’re doing so well. I wish I could take this for you.”