Sleepless Nights

It was past my bedtime but I couldn't sleep at all. Daddy and Mummy are in a fight. It was scaring me, Daddy is so loud and angry. I can't hear Mum, only her sobs. Daddy was cursing, he said words that I've never heard of, but I knew it was bad, because of his tone. Daddy's strong voice was heard throughout the flat, it was over powering Mumma.

My shaky hands pulled my purple sheets over my ears. I covered my teddy bear Daddy got me, Fid, with my arms. I just wanted to tell Daddy and Mumma to stop yelling, but I know Daddy would be mad at me. My sticky tears rolled down my cheeks and stuck in my long, curly brown hair. I was so frightened.

When Daddy and Mumma are fighting, Daddy is violent. He punches walls and screams so loud. I just have to hold on to Fid and wish it can all be over. The fighting between them dies down. I could only hear Mummy's sobs and the door slam. I jumped and whimpered a little. Daddy's loud footsteps come closer to my door, slightly opening it.

I wipe my eyes and act like I'm asleep. I pulled the purple covers over my ears, my hair was the only thing showing. I sobbed under the sheets. The side of my small bed sunk down and I could tell Dad was sitting on the edge of it.
"Darcy." Daddy whispers into the dark room.

I don't reply. I know Daddy will get mad if I don't mind him, but I am terrified.
"Darcy Anne Styles, look at me now." Dad says with much force and stern in his voice.

Daddy's voice is so deep and husky. It scares me when he is angry, because it's deeper and stern. Dad pulls the warm sheets off of my head and pulls my chin to meet his eyes. Daddy's eyes were dark when he was like this, usually they're a pretty green like mine. I stared at Daddy, dropping Fid on the floor by accident. I try to pick Fid back up but Daddy pulls me to him by my tiny arm in his strong, tight grip.

"Daddy! No!" I cried as I tried to pick Fid back up and loosen out of his strong grip.

But Daddy doesn't listen. He yanks me back again, I hit his chest with my back when he pulled me back to him. I cried harder, his chest was so hard against my weak back. My brown hair swooped in my face, sticking on my face due to the wetness of my salty tears. I sob as Dad holds his grip on my waist and wrist.

"Daddy- Fid is on the flo-" I spoke before Daddy cut me off.

"Fid is okay, Darcy. You need to behave before I spank you. Do you hear me?" Daddy said, his eyes looked into mine, his eyebrow creased and I nodded. He grinned and set me on the bed, giving me Fid.

I watch Daddy as he grabs my pink zebra suitcase from the closet and sets it on my bed. He sets 9 shirts, 6 pants, 3 shorts, panties, and socks into the suitcase. Daddy runs out the bedroom and comes back, putting all of my hydration needs in the bag as well. My shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, ponytails and more into the zebra bag until it's full. I was so confused, I decide to ask Daddy what he's doing.

"Do you remember our other flat in North West London?" Daddy asked me, kneeling down in front of me. I nodded fast and thought of the beautiful place Daddy took me and Mum for her birthday. It had a big pool and patio, with a big clubhouse outside.

"Well, Mummy and Daddy are not getting along, so me and you are going to live there for a bit." Daddy said, smiling. Something told me Daddy and Mummy didn't love each other anymore.

"Daddy, are you and Mum fighting?" I asked him. I was scared that Mummy didn't love Daddy. I hoped they were okay, I want to be a happy family again.

"Baby, when two married couples fight so much, they begin to lose trust. Now, me and your Mum are like that. I still love Mum, but we don't get along. And when married couples don't get along they get a divorce. Me and your Mum are getting a divorce, but we still love you very much." Daddy told me. I didn't know what he was talking about. It sounded sad. What is a divorce?