Safe and Sound

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS BOOK IN THE TOP 50 FOR SHORT STORIES AND FANFIC!!

You laid with your body strewn across the blackened, snow softened pavement as a small trail of blood led straight to your neck; it gave the dismal scene a splash of vulgar color as you fought to keep your eyes open. You were staring straight into the never ending abyss of the night sky as few stars peeked out from the snow baring clouds. The moments passing seemed to play out in a slow motion, you could almost hear a flicker of film as though you were in a movie. Colors blended together in a sea of gray with a dusty scarlet outline.

You had never felt so relaxed. You were't in pain, though you could see there was a clear break in your leg and you were laying on tiny shards of glass. It should have hurt, but it didn't. Your eyes started to flutter shut, but you opened them once more when you felt a pressure put around your right hand. You slowly tilted your head and saw Harry, you could barely hear him, everything was drowned out, but you could see him. The tears had conquered his face as his eyes contorted showing the immense emotional strain he felt on his mind. 

"Sam, babe, please-please just look at me. Sweetheart please." He sobbed softly as everyone else kept a safe distance away. "Stay with me, don't leave me here alone, please."

"Hey." You croaked, wounded and uneven as your own tears formed. "I will never leave you." You spoke just above a whisper. A small smile pierced through his stream of tears as he shifted so his face was right above your own. You felt the small droplets touch your skin, they were warm, filled with fear and packed with sorrow as he grasped at your hand harder, afraid that if he let go you were going to disappear into thin air. You slowly, with all your might, raise your left hand and brushed his cheek. "I will not leave." You spoke softly, yet firm. It took all you had, but you needed to reassure him that you were going no where. You couldn't imagine a greater pain for any should; sure, the thought of yourself dying was scary, but the though of the person you love the most dying? That was torture. To have to sit beside your world and watch the life drain from their eyes, their strength from their bodies and their consciousness from mind must be the hardest thing to ever over come. Sure it's hard to die, but it's harder to let piece by piece of you die one by one. 

He watched you as his empty hand held your own to his cheek. He wanted to caress your warmth, hold you together as you slowly fell apart right before his eyes. Your eyes started to slowly shut, you heard a scream that sounded like a soothing mumble as your eyelids finally touched, locking you into the darkness of serenity. You were slipping away from his fingertips and no matter how hard he grasped at your skin or how tightly he held you in his arms, he couldn't keep you here. 

The decision was out of his hands-out of yours as well. 

"Wake up, please, just-just w-wake up. I need you Sammy, I do, I need you, I love you." He babbled, rubbing your hand over his cheek as he stumbled over his tears. "Please, open your eyes, let me see them darling, come back to me." You remained unmoving as his tears splashed down on your face. "Please." He whimpered one last time before his body was ripped from yours. A paramedic holding him back, another working on you, a few prepping the ambulance. 

People were running to and fro, all around, you were unfazed. Flashes went off in the distance, pictures that connected the people of the world to this pin-pointed position were being spread around the globe as Harry kicked and flailed, desperately trying to escape the grasp from Louis and a security guard. The tears stained his shirt as the snow fell quicker and everything seemed to slow down as he slowly collapsed, rocking himself and being covered by Louis as the other stood around them, shielding them from the cameras. 

It was cold and solemn night as you were lain lifeless on the hospital bed as Harry sat beside you, his hand interlaced with yours. The tears stopped, but the pain didn't. He was told you were going to live, but nothing would be the same. 

When you were on the ground, you felt no pain. You broke your vertebrae. You broke it badly as well, straight through. They preformed the surgeries necessary but you were to be paralyzed from your waist down, condemned to life in a wheel chair. But he didn't care. It would be a reason for him to always be with you, for him to never leave your side, for him to smother you in kisses-as if he already needed a reason. He didn't care if you'd be disabled, he just wanted you awake, he wanted to look you in the eyes.

"Mr. Styles?" A doctor called from behind as he slowly turned. 

"Yes?" He croaked-he hadn't said much. 

"I have some good news." He started off and Harry almost-almost cracked a smile. "So, the anesthesia should wear off within the next hour and she should wake up, fully functional. There was no trauma to the mind, she may be a little fuzzy or seem a little out of it but that's only because of the high dosage of medication she's on for the pain. There's more good news though. We looked into the condition of her neck injury. It seems that we were able to fuse the bone together which is fantastic."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that the paralysis in her legs may only be temporary. It's actually quite common with severe neck injuries. You see, because we were able to repair where the nerves are located, after some therapy and treatments she will be able to walk again, but it may take up to a year, and it will be a struggle-"

"I don't care, I just want her to get better." He said with all the strength he had. 

"She will, with time and support." He said softly, giving Harry a motivational pat on the shoulder as he turned back toward you. 

It had been a good hour before you began to arouse, but he stayed. You slowly began to shift uncomfortably as you began to blink softy. The light wasn't blinding, someone-presumably Harry-toned the lights down, making it easier to adjust. When your eyes could finally define the lines and assort the colors, you found yourself staring into the eyes of Harry. "I said I'd never leave you." You whispered as he cried harder-you did too. 

"I love you so much, next time, look both ways before crossing." He smiled brokenly as he peppered soft, feathery kisses to your face.

"I love you too and will do Harry, will do." You smiled sheepishly as he placed a soft lingering kiss to your lips. You tried to move up and your arms cooperated, but you legs didn't. You began to panic as he pulled away. "Why aren't my legs working?" You asked small and fearfully, looking into his blurred eyes.

"One more push Sam, c'mon then you can go home. You are almost back to where you were." Your physical therapist looked up expectantly at you. 

"I'm just so tired." You complained, nuzzling your back further into the wheel chair. 

"But you're so close and if-"

"Sorry I'm late!" Harry walked through the doors and bustled straight over into your session. "How's it going?' He asked, raising an eyebrow at your defeated looking trainer and your resilient position in the chair. "Can I just have a word with her real quick Ben?"

"Have at it." He laughed, giving you two your distance.

"What did we say about giving up?"

"Shut it Harry, I'm tired and I want to go home, I don't want to do this anymore." You snapped at him as the tears of frustration lined your eyes. Sure, it was wrong to take it out on him but it was so hard. You were forced to lift your body each time and it felt as though you gained a thousand pounds with every lift. 

"C'mere." He said softly, knowing you didn't mean it, you were just hurt. He took you in his arms and rubbed your back. "This will all be okay and no, it's not fair it happened to you, but it happened to you because you can fight back and you will. You can walk and you will, I know it's hard, but it's worth it." He said pulling away and wiping the few tears that fell.

"I know and I'm sorry, it's just so hard." You whimpered as he took ahold on your hand. 

"I love you too and instead of apologizing, try again, just for me. Okay?"

"Okay." You sighed, aligning your body outward.

"We ready to try one last time?" Ben asked cautiously. 

"One more." You said, unsure of the point. 

"Go." He gestured as you began to pull up on the bar. It took all of your might, but you made it up, that was only the beginning. "Okay, now for the hard part." He gestured, it was time to step.

"Come to me sweetheart, if you make it here I'll buy us some frozen yogurt afterward." He bribed with a wink. You moved, slowly but steadily as you took your first step, he was only five away so there were only four more. "Four." He counted, keeping his eyes on you. And you did it. 

You took all five steps without assistance. 

You fell into his arms with tears of joy lining your eyes and his too. "I told you that you could do it." He smiled, kissing your forehead. 

"Well you said you'd buy me ice cream." You smiled and kissed him gently.

"Sam, if you keep his up, you'll be back on your feet in a matter of months." Ben pointed out. "Harry I really think you need to be here, you're like her crutch." He said, nodding his head an walking away.

"I love you so much and I'm so proud of you."

"I love you too, thank you for keeping me safe."

"You will always be safe and sound in my arms. Forever. Now, How about that treat?" He smiled as he picked you up and placed you back in your wheel chair. 

"In a few months we can walk." You smiled as he pushed you into the open air.

"Either way, I love you all the same." He laughed as he wheeled you down the street.

HOPE YOU LIKED IT

THIS IS NOT MY WORK, I HAVE NOT WRITTEN THIS SO ALL THE CREDIT GOES TO THE OWNER :)

IF YOU DID LIKE IT PLEASE LIKE, VOTE AND COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS :)

THANKS FOR READING :)