2. (MCU) Bucky Barnes - Read My Mind

https://gyllenwaynesbitch.tumblr.com/

nerd!Bucky × reader

Oneshot

Summary: you remind Bucky of his love for books

Word count: 1.8k+

Warnings: none. Just fluffy. Soft. Soft. Bucky. Like very baby.

-----

The set up was about as perfect as it could get without the valuable input of your boyfriend - the couches were drawn out, the blankets perfectly warm and the lights were dimmed down so you could only see about a foot away from where you stood.

The only thing missing now was, probably, information about the exact books and material he would appreciate on this occasion.

It had been one of the toughest weeks of your life, holding in the itch to just pop the question before him, interrogate him out of every bit he could give you and then just stack all the right books on the shelf.

But I guess that's how surprises worked. You were not allowed to tell.

You tip toe across the room to the telephone in the hallway, dialing Sam's place so he could return your boyfriend back to you for the night.

"Hellou.", he answers in an accent, the eyebrow raise literally audible through the receiver. You hold the handset to your ear, giggling slightly at the idea of a literal oldschool phone in the otherwise tech-savvy environment of your apartment.

Old habits die hard, dont they? At least with Bucky, they did. Maybe someday you'd buy him a phone booth as well. For old times sake.

"Yeah. I think it's time for you to let Buck come over.", you answer, staring at your image in the mirror next to you. You weren't really able to decide on cozy or sexy for the night, but the bookworm side of you had decided to go with your sweats after all.

"Hey, James. Your little woman wants you home, man!", Sam shouts into the phone, your eyes widening in horror at the absolute avalanche this would start.

"You didnt just do that!", you hiss, ready to throw the reciever across the hall in case Bucky decided he wanted to talk. You were super bad at keeping things from him and you didnt need your limits tested.

"No, of course, I didn't.", he laughs. You can hear his hand slap his thigh, your eyes closing as you wait for his wave of hysteria to end. "No, Barnes is in the backyard helping me with that piece of shit car I've got. But honey, it sure is fun messing with you."

He laughs again like he just replayed the moment in his head, and this time you can't help but laugh along, the relief even apparent in the sound.

"Ok. Now go and get him. I'm waiting, jackass.", you remind.

"At your service, ma'am. Hey, Buck-", and with that the call cuts off to a white noise, your torso leaning against the wall as you set the receiver back on the stand.

You take the phone off the hook, in case of a distraction, your pulse rising every second as you over-think the success, and possible failure, of your campaign.

Would he even be ready to revisit that part of his life? Am I doing this right? Or should I have...

Procrastination came so easy to you, you often wondered if it would create a viable career.

But your brain waves were cut short by a gentle knock at your door, your steps loud and heavy as you run across the apartment to see your boyfriend.

"Hi, baby.", you greet him, your tone artificially polite like you were more a waitress at a restaurant. You swallow thickly and offer him the best smile you have.