161. (HP) Hermione Granger - Jealousy

https://scandalous-chaos.tumblr.com/

~ summary: jealous Hermione + happy ending. Loved writing this, but I did stray a bit off the original request. There's not much of a fight, but hopefully it's not too bad!

-----

You and Hermione have always been close. Bestfriends, even. Which is why you knew you shouldn't have a crush on her, because you can't lose the one person who mattered the most to you. You couldn't stand her rejection either. So you took your feelings and dumped them in that part of your head which you never looked at.

You hated it when anyone tried to make Ron blush by talking about Hermione. He was a constant reminder that not only would you never get the girl you love, but you were also going to have to deal with the pain that she would one day be with one of your closest friends. Of course, not anytime soon, because both Ron and Hermione were too stubborn to admit their feelings.

Or maybe she doesn't have any feelings for him at all, you had hoped that every single day, but now you weren't so sure. The pain didn't get smaller, but you learned to ignore it.

"Y/N!" Harry sat down beside you in the common room, eating a chocolate frog.

"Why's your hair full of snow?" You asked, laughing.

"Because it's snowing outside and I was visiting Hagrid." He replied, trying to shake the snow out of his hair, but only making his hair messier.

"Stay still, for fuck's sake." You did your best to get his hair clean again, not noticing Ron and Hermione sitting across from you.

"You could just use a spell, you know." She snapped, startling you both.

"Holy hell, you're quieter than the damn ghosts." You exclaimed.

"Actually, Sir Nicholas can't shut his mouth." Ron shrugged.

"Hey Y/N, I actually have a lot of work left on astronomy. Can you please help me?" Harry asked, dragging out the please. He knew you'd help him anyway.

"What do I get?" You asked, your hands folded.

"Anything from Honeydukes the next time we go to Hogsmeade."

"Promise?"

"Scout's honor." He grinned, getting up. "I've got to get my books and then we'll meet up in the library?"

"Sure, let me get my stuff too." You were both off, talking about random stuff.

...leaving a very annoyed Hermione and an oblivious Ron.

"Good for him!" He said once you were both out of their earshot.

"Why?" Hermione asked, a bit too sharply.

"Did you not see what I saw? He scored a date with her! Hogsmeade, Honeydukes? Aren't you supposed to be the smart one?"

Her mouth fell open. "That's not a date, we do it all the time!"

"Yeah, the three of us. OH, wait you know what, I take back I said. He didn't get a date-" Ron said quickly.

Hermione sighed in relief.

"-he got two dates!"

"What?"

"They're both in the library, Hermione. Talking about stars. Alone. Very romantic. I'm proud of them." He sighed.

"You're insufferable." She stood up, walking away.

What did I do now? He thought, before shrugging and eating the rest of the chocolate frogs that Harry had left behind.

-
A week later.

"How was your date?" Hermione asked as you got back.

"What date?" You were confused. And possibly a bit distracted by her new perfume. God, it smelled great.

"Harry? I thought you went to Hogsmeade together."

"Yeah, because he owed me. Speaking of!" You dumped the bag in her bed, and a lot of candy came spilling out. Hermione looked indifferent.

"Come on, I saved them for you!" You took a random one and pointed it at her face. She waved it away.

"Y/N, just- listen to me, you can't lead him on then! It's rude!"

"He doesn't like me, and I'm pretty sure he's got a crush on Ginny." You said, confused by her defensiveness. "What's going on? Are you good-"

You stopped when the realization hit you.

"You're jealous!"

Hermione turned red, and no words came out of her mouth. She kept her eyes at anywhere but you.

"It's true, isn't it? Holy shit. You and Harry! You li-"

"What? I don't like Harry, Y/N what are you talking about?" She asked in disbelief.

"Uh- so you're not jealous?"

"You're so dense!" Hermione threw her hands to the air, giving up. "It's you! Always been you! I like you, okay? Far too much and uh- Y/N?"

You were frozen, the candy slipping down from your hands.

"Y/N! Are you okay?"

"Please tell me you're not lying right now. That would be cruel." You said slowly.

"I'm not. I've been in denial but I couldn't stand him flirting with you-"

"That wasn't flirting." You laughed. Could anyone blame you? All of this made you so fucking happy. You kept laughing and threw yourself at her, attacking her in a huge hug. "You have no idea how much I like you."

"Maybe you could tell me? This Saturday, Hogsmeade?' She breathed and you broke away from her hug, feeling mesmerized under her glance. She looked absolutely stunning this close. But when did she not?

"It's a date," You said, bumping your forehead gently to hers. Her fingers intertwined between yours.

"It's a date." She repeated, smiling.