51. (MCU) Peter Parker - Last Breath

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: peter parker x avenger!reader

summary: You and Peter have been best friends for years, fighting alongside each other as Avengers. When you nearly die, the true feelings you and Peter have for each other come to the surface.

a/n: Peter's 19 here b/c let's just pretend infinity war and endgame didn't happen and it's 2021 lol. This is also my first time writing in a long time and first time writing for Peter. Feel free to request below!

word count: 3.2k

warnings: mentions of death, blood, fluff, and I guess angsty, crying Peter

-----

You had first met your best friend Peter Parker two years ago after you learned you had powers and had been discovered by the Avengers. Being the youngest two of the Avengers and the same age, you and Peter were practically attached at the hip and everyone was aware of it. Whether it was having each other's backs during missions, helping each other with homework or binge watching the latest sci-fi television show together, you and Peter were inseparable.

As much as you and Peter had tried to convince yourselves that you were only best friends and nothing more, everyone around you could see through that facade. They caught what you two tried to hide from one another- the stolen glances, the jealousy, the stuttering, the getting flustered when anyone brought up the prospect of you two being anything more than friends.

It's not as if you two weren't aware of the feelings that you had- you knew you liked Peter more than a friend should- but you weren't about to tell him and have him laugh in your face, ruining everything you've built. So, the two of you lived in less than blissful ignorance, hiding your feelings from one another.

There wasn't a nice way to put it- during your last mission Peter got absolutely wrecked. Although he had super-human abilities, even he was taking a longer time to recover which meant him staying back at the Avengers Compound while you and the rest of the Avengers went on a mission.

Peter knew that you could handle yourself and admittedly had powers that exceeded his, but he worried about you and tried to beg you to stay behind with him. He hated the idea of you going out and him not being able to have your back. He wouldn't be able to relax unless he knew you were safe and he wouldn't be able to keep you safe while you were out fighting and he was confined to his bed.

"Y/n, please." He begged, tucked under his sheets.

"Peter, they need me." You insisted.

"Not as much as I need you, though."

"Oh yeah?" you chuckled at his attempt to implore you to stay.

"Yeah!" He continued. "Who's going to stay here and look after me? What if I need something? Plus, my leg has been really aching.... so... I think it's decided! Besides, what would you do if something happened to me?"

You laughed. "Nothing's going to happen to you, Peter. You're fine. I'll be back before you even notice I'm gone."

Debatable, Peter thought. He always noticed when you were there and especially when you weren't.

"Okay, but, hear me out-" He explained. "What if someone tries to attack the Compound? I can't do anything to protect myself! I could die!"

"You're not going to die, Pete." You smiled. "If you die, I'll kill you."

That was the last thing you said to your best friend before you left with the rest of the Avengers. You would be lying if you said you were totally fine going on this mission without Peter. You were anything but calm. Sure, the others would have your back, but not the same way Peter did, swooping in at the last moment before someone got to you like he was always looking out for you.