42. (TWD) Daryl Dixon - Winters Ahead

https://eternallytoph.tumblr.com

summary: you and daryl go out on a simple run

pairing: daryl dixon x female reader

era: unspecified

word count: 1.5k

—————————✯—————————

The air was thin and cold. It was the type of weather where you could tell that the dreaded winter was on its way. The days were getting shorter and the nights were getting longer. Winter was naturally dreaded before the apocalypse but it's even more dreaded after. Winter for us meant not only did we have to worry about the undead but we also had to fight hypothermia and all the other natural factors that were pining against us in these cold conditions. You trailed behind Daryl Dixon, undeniably the group's most skilled hunter. A few months before this current winter, Daryl and his group had stumbled upon you fighting off a few more walkers than you could handle on your own. Your shout out for help alerted the group and you had stuck with them ever since. You didn't know Daryl that well, the two of you had talked a few times but not enough to consider yourselves friends. He asked if you wanted to tag along on this run for two reasons, he figured it would be a good opportunity to teach you more survival skills and Rick told him it would be safer if he had someone to watch his back, even though he would have no problem doing it alone, he figured if he had to chose someone he might as well chose someone whose company he didn't entirely hate.

Daryl walked at a steady pace, slow enough for you to keep up as you trailed behind. The two of you were headed towards a nearby town that you had yet to check for supplies, it was a small town with one grocery store, a few corner stores and one pharmacy. Your main targets were the grocery store and the pharmacy. You and Daryl walked in silence, despite the few times you wanted to say something, you held your tongue. Once you reached the edge of town, Daryl crouched down and looked around for any Walkers. You crouched down beside him and looked around. "Ya see anythin'?" Daryl speaks softly. You shake your head and Daryl heads forward keeping his crouched position and you cautiously follow suit. The first stop was the grocery store which was surprisingly small. Daryl led you around the side and he forcefully smashed his shoulder into the door, busting it open and immediately drawing his weapon to shoot any Walkers that might have been silently lurking. When the two of you checked the building, you began searching for anything worth taking. You and Daryl spilt up and looked through the shelves, in hopes of finding that would be of use to the group. You managed to find a couple cans of soup but that wouldn't last very long. You packed up the cans and searched for Daryl. "I found a couple cans of soup but other than that this place has been cleaned out pretty well. You find anything?" you ask. "Nah, nothin' special." he replies before heading towards the door.

Daryl led the way to the side entrance of the pharmacy. He abused his shoulder once again, shoving it into the metal door forcing it open. You were both a little less on guard this time since this entire town seemed relatively quiet. You both walked in side by side, looking at the surroundings. You walked a bit ahead of Daryl, about to turn down one of the isles before you felt Daryl grab the back of your t-shirt and slowly pull you back. When you looked up, you were met with at least two dozen Walkers standing in the isle. As you walked back, your feet quietly shuffled against the dirtied floors, as Daryl pulled you back farther, you began to lose your footing and accidentally kicked an empty can that was crushed on the floor. That ever so slight noise quickly caught the attention of the Walkers before you and you began to panic. "Ah fuck," Daryl muttered. "In here, come on!" he orders in a louder tone. He leads you to a door that leads to behind the pharmacy counter. He abuses his shoulder once more, using all his force to shove it open. The door bursts open and the two of you rush in. Daryl holds the door while you push over a filing cabinet to block the door. Daryl quickly helps you pull it over in front of the door with one strong pull.

Once the door is blocked, the two of you sit up against the opposite wall, watching the door as it is pushed and slammed on. "I'm so sorry," the words naturally come out of your mouth, barely above a whisper. "For?" he asks in confusion. "I tripped. I got us in this situation." you admit. "S'okay. Shit happens'. S'not gonna cost us our lives." he replies, softening his expression. "We jus' gotta wait for em walkers to clear and we'll be alright''' he continued, in efforts to comfort you to the best of his abilities. After a couple of moments of silence between the two of you, you looked over at him. He didn't dare look back but he could feel your gaze. "Can I ask you something?" you ask softly. He nods his head yes before you speak up again. "Why'd you bring me along on this run?" you ask. Daryl looks forward in silence for a moment, thinking of what to say before clearing his throat. "I dunno. Ery'one could use some experience out here." he replied. You nod in understanding. "Plus, Rick tol' me I gotta pick someone to come along, to be safe, and I don't hate ya company." Daryl admitted hesitantly. You didn't know what to say,

Daryl wasn't usually this open with anyone, let alone you. You simply looked at him and smiled. He let out a breath like he was going to hold it until you replied to his statement. "I don't hate your company either" you smile. You catch a small smile on his face, it's only for a split second but for that split second, Daryl Dixon is visibly happy. "Before this, who were you?" you ask in attempts to pass the time. Daryl didn't know what to say, there were so many things he wanted you to know and so many things that he didn't. "A redneck," he replies. Without questioning the simplicity behind his answer you ask another question, "You miss anything from before?" you ask. Daryl thinks for a few seconds, did he miss anything? "Alcohol" he mutters. You raise an eyebrow at him and he gives in, "I dunno...maybe Merle, sometimes." he gives in. "Brother?" you ask, unsure of who Merle was. "Yea" Daryl replies, avoiding eye contact. "I'm sorry for your loss," you reply, placing your hand gently over his to console him. "S'alright," he mutters. "Betcha' you were some artist or somethin'" he continued, chuckling to himself slightly. "I was in College, I was an English major" you reply. "How old are ya?" Daryl asks in confusion. "I'm 23," you admit. Daryl rubs his hand down his face and chuckles, "God ya young" he mutters, you barely caught it behind his sigh. "Beware, I'm 70 at heart" you chuckle. He chuckles along with you. "Ya miss anythin' from before?" he asks with curiosity. "My family" you reply, you were quick with your reply. Daryl could tell it upset you so he avoided prying at it anymore. After a few more moments of silence, you look over at Daryl in sudden confusion. This time he looks back and mimics your expression. "How old are you?" you ask. "Old enough," Daryl quickly replies. Your best guess was late 40's, you knew he was older then you but he made it seem like you had 30 years between the two of you. "How long do you think it'll take for those Walkers to wander off" you ask, getting tired from all the commotion. "Hard to say, why?" he replies, watching the door. "Just getting tired, that's all" you admit, also staring at the door. "Ya can rest if ya want, I'll keep watch" he replies, getting more comfortable against the wall. "You sure?" you ask. Daryl nods and you close your eyes while resting your head against the wall.

After a few minutes you're asleep. Daryl kept watch of the door, waiting for a sign that the Walkers had moved on. Daryl was so focused on the door that he hadn't even noticed you falling onto the floor, your head was no longer resting against the wall, your hair was in your face and you were in a visibly uncomfortable position. Normally Daryl wouldn't intervene, but something in his brain triggered his hand to tap your shoulder and wake you from that uncomfortable position. You opened your eyes slightly, still half asleep. You looked up at Daryl and he sighed, he inched closer to you allowing your head to fall into his lap. You laid there and slowly dozed off again as Daryl sat in silence, but this time instead of watching the door, his eyes were on you.