95. (MCU) Shang Chi - Long Time No See

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: xu shang-chi x readersummary: after shang-chi abandoned you and his sister ten years ago, you have a hard time forgiving him when you finally meet again at the golden daggers club years later. despite all the time that has passed, he is determined to make it right and prove how much you mean to him.word count: 2.5kwarnings: shang-chi spoilers, arrows killing soul eaters and the dweller in darkness

----

"Y/n?"

Shang-Chi stared in awe- and horror- at the woman standing in front of him.

He would've been able to recognize you anywhere.

Despite not having seen you face to face in ten years, you had occupied Shang-Chi's dreams and haunted his memories more than he would have liked to admit. He never forgot you- he couldn't have.

He never stopped feeling guilty about his decision to leave you and his sister behind ten years ago and he had always feared the day that he would see you again- not being able to meet you with the look of cold betrayal written all over your face.

He had woken up in a cold sweat plenty of times just at the thought of it.

It was the one thing that almost made him book a flight back home.

Almost.

Now as he stood there in front of you, the complete and utter picture of hurt and rage, he wished he could go back and time and do it all over.

"I'm surprised you bothered remembering my name." You said, standing in your fighting stance. "You didn't seem to have a very hard time forgetting about me."

If it weren't for the sound of Shang-Chi's heart beat thumping in his ears and the feeling of it pounding against his chest, he would have been sure his heart fell straight to the pit of his stomach.

"Y/n, I'm sorry-" Shang-Chi began, putting his hands out in front of him.

Not even giving him the chance to speak, you ran at him with full force and when he didn't stop you, you swung a punch at his face before grabbing both of his shoulders and kneeing him between the legs.

"Shit!" He cursed falling to the floor.

As the crowd erupted around you, you circled around him.

"I would say I didn't take you for much of a quitter," You spat, staring down at him. "But then again you've proved me wrong before."

Shang-Chi knew you were completely justified in being angry- the two of you had grown up together- you being his best friend since before he could even remember and just around the time that he had been sent on his first hit mission your relationship had blossomed into something more... but he left. He left you without a word and you had every right to be completely and utterly pissed.

Despite knowing that though, it didn't make Shang-Chi's heart shatter any less at the biting tone in your voice... or soften the blows you threw at him.

"I'm not fighting you." Shang-Chi said, pushing himself off of the ground with a grunt.

"Good." You remarked. "Makes my job easier."

As he stood straight once again, you threw another punch at him- one that he dodged just in time.

Grumbling to yourself at the missed hit, you continuously threw punches at him and grew even angrier as they missed every time.

Every. Single. Time.

This didn't usually happen.

You also weren't usually this upset with your opponent.