96. (MCU) Druig - Fireflies

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

word count: 1.9k

warnings: mentions of widow stuff such as the red room, nat's death, thanos, reader had a stab wound, angst, fluff

As your legs dangled over the ledge, you wrapped your arms around the metal railings of the balcony, laying your face against them. You peaked through the bars but welcomed the cold touch of the metal against your skin on that warm summer night, smiling to yourself as you watched the fireflies move throughout the Compound's lawn.

"Hey," Natasha said, nudging your arm as she sat beside you on the floor of the Compound.

You had been sat on the floor of the living room of the Compound, your eyes glued to the television just as they had been all those years ago when you, Natasha and Yelena had been on that mission in Ohio. Even after you had escaped the Red Room, you had always found comfort on sitting on the floor, remembering the feeling of your sisters sitting beside you- a peace that was rare in a life such as yours.

"What's up?" You asked, tearing your focus away from the screen and to your older sister sat beside you.

Rather than opening her mouth, Nat only smiled and pulled her hand out from behind her back- and with it- a jar with a firefly inside of it and holes poked through the lid.

The expression on your face could only have been described as childlike as your face practically lit up with a wide smile stretching across your face when you saw the object in her hands.

"No way!" You laughed, reaching out your hand for the jar. "They're out already?"

Natasha nodded.

"Yep." She said. "Caught this little guy flying outside the kitchen window. Wanna help me release it?"

Even decades after the two of you had left Ohio, you were grateful for how kind Natasha treated you- that no matter how much older the both of you grew, you were still her little sister and she honored what little traditions you, her and Yelena shared.

You smiled as you remembered the three of you playing outside on the warm summer nights. How the fireflies used to always move around the yard and Yelena and Nat used to try to catch them. Nat was quicker than the rest of you, catching one in her palms with ease but before she let it go, she use to sit beside you on the steps and hold her folded hands in front of you, asking you to help her let it go.

Looking back up at Nat in the Compound's living room, you smiled.

"You know I do."

Although you welcomed memories of her, at times they hurt. Deep in the part of your heart you nearly forgot was there until you remembered her face or voice once again and it ached as if a part of you was missing- because it was.

On this particular night, though, there was a different pain that nearly made you forget about your loss. During the mission you had been on that day, you had sustained a stab wound into your side. Although you survived and would absolutely have a scar to prove it, it hurt nonetheless, and it didn't help you were avoiding your "much needed resting time".

"Do you ever listen to anything anyone says?" You heard your partner ask from behind you. "Or did all our time together make you stubborn?"

Resting your head against the metal, you laughed and winced as pain shot throughout your side.

"I learned from the best."

Although you weren't looking at him, Druig smiled to himself and shook his head in loving disbelief before seating himself beside you, letting his own legs hang over the balcony's edge.