36. (TWD) Rick Grimes

https://maggierheeishot.tumblr.com

----

He hates you, you hate him. That's how it's been since day one. Bitter insults, intense rivalry, pure unadulterated hatred. There was no rhyme or reason for it, it was just this way. The group had tried practically everything to make you like each other, but of course it was all in vain. You were convinced that it was fate-that the two of you would never get along.

That was until now.

Now, in the twilight of this cold evening, you saw something different in his eyes. Something that had never been there before. Or had it? Maybe you were just too ignorant to notice. His piercing blue eyes were softer than usual, displaying nothing but kindness. You realised how close your lips were to touching and you realised how neither one of you was doing anything to make it stop. You had never been this close to him. Well, not in this way, at least. Sure, he'd earned his fair share of slaps from you and there had been plenty of face to face fights, where your faces had been exactly this close, if not closer. There was something romantic about it this time though - not fiery or fierce or cold- something....different.

Earlier that day

You woke up in your cell at the prison, groggy and cold, to someone standing over you. You reluctantly sat up and rubbed your tired eyes.

"Rick what the hell are you doing here? Get out," you sighed. He didn't move, instead he stayed stood over you.

"We're going on a run, just me and you, so get dressed,"

"No, we're not. I'm busy, got stuff to do," you replied, laying back down in your bed and rolling over to face the wall.

"Oh yeah? Like what? Moping around all day complaining about how awful I am? Yeah, I don't think so, get up,"

"Why can't Daryl go?"

"He's busy," he replied, taking the cover off you and throwing it on the floor.

"Geez, someone's in a bad mood," you groaned, getting out of bed and retrieving the clothes you had left on your chair yesterday.

"Well we make a good pair then don't we," he smirked.

"Get out. I need to get changed," he held his hands up in defeat and left. You knew that it was going to be a torturously long day. You got dressed into your usual clothes and grabbed a bottle of water before walking out to meet him by the car.

"Hey y/n," said Carol, who was sitting at a table talking with Daryl.

"Mornin'," you smiled, walking over to grab a bit of whatever Daryl was eating.

"Hey asshole, that's mine," grumbled Daryl, trying to snatch back his food.

"What? I'm going on a run with Rick an' I need sustenance,"

"You're goin' on a run and didn't invite me?" said Daryl, feigning offense.

"Yeah, Rick said you were busy, which was clearly a lie," you said signalling to him just sitting and talking with Carol.

"Why'd he say that?"

"Probably so he can be rude to me like usual. Trust me, he really dials it down when other people are around," You reached over and took more of Daryl's food before he smacked your arm away. Carol then promptly offered you some of hers. "Anyway, I need to go. Don't wanna giver Ranger Rick more reasons to hate me," you waved as you walked away.

Rick was already in the car when you got there, with the engine running (probably just to make a point, you thought). You opened the door and climbed in the passenger seat.