173. (HP) Regulus Black - THE BREAK-IN II

https://scandalous-chaos.tumblr.com/

Summary: You are staying at the Potters' after running away, and James notes how you're nervous and excited, almost as if you're waiting for someone.

-----

Since the day you walked into the Potters' house, you felt like you were back at Hogwarts, or maybe that was the effect of having two of the marauders under the same roof. You apologized to Mrs. Potter for taking up the extra space, but she was glad to see the house so alive.

Even then, Sirius could sense something was bothering you. You kept looking out the window, as if you were waiting for someone. Sudden noises made you drop whatever you were holding, which just added to the suspicions.

A week later, everyone was gathered at the table for dinner, so the knocks on the door suggested it was someone new arriving.

Before anyone could get up, you practically flew out of the chair and raced to the door.

Sirius and James quickly followed because they were sure this had something to do with how you were acting weird for the past few days.

You opened the door and there stood Regulus Black, drenched in rain and his shoes muddy. He had a small suitcase and an annoyed expression on his face.

"Holy mother of God!" Sirius exclaimed from behind you, and you winced. You were supposed to have told them he'd be coming, but you didn't.

It's not that you didn't want to, but the first thing you said to him was a lie. You had told Sirius that you did get his letter. The fact that you climbed up his brother's windows and were redirected to this house was a fact that Sirius still hasn't come to know.

"Hello," Regulus said timidly.

"Goodness, you're going to get sick, come inside!" Mrs. Potter arrived on the scene, ushering him in. She was the only one who didn't look surprised. By now, she was used to kids taking shelter in her house.

"I'm f-fine," said Regulus, his teeth clattering. You forcibly took off his jacket and threw it at James's face, who was looking at the scene with jaw open just as wide as his best friend's.

"You're late!" You said sternly, trying not to glare.

"I'm here now, aren't I?" Regulus replied, glaring back.

He thought he looked intimidating but that was very hard to achieve considering how Mrs. Potter had just draped a blanket over his shoulder. He clutched on its sides like an angry, cold puppy.

"Is anyone going to tell me what's going on?" Sirius asked, turning on the spot to look at everyone. He then fixed his gaze at Regulus. "If you tell me you've been secretly dating Y/N, I will scream."

James hung up the jacket on the coat rack. "So will I, what's going on here?"

"Reg is going to stay with us for a while," you said, biting your lips hesitantly. "Would that be alright, Mrs. Potter?"

"Of course! The more the merrier!" She beamed at the boy like he was her own son. "You're Sirius's brother?"

"That'd be me," he shook her hands with a polite smile, and she looked surprised. Unlike the chaotic interactions from Sirius and James — Regulus emitted elegance.

"Ten galleons say you're both going to have a spring wedding," Mrs. Potter said, grinning from ear to ear. "I have a sixth sense about weddings, don't ask me how."

"Say what?" You blinked. "Reg and I are not—"

"You call my brother Reg?" Sirius repeated, like you barfed on his shirt. "So you are dating him?"

"Oh, don't be silly!" You rolled your eyes. "I only met him—"

"Silly? What's so silly about dating me?" Regulus asked quickly.

Your mouth fell open. "I meant—"

"Oh please, you'd be lucky to date me."

You scoffed. "In your dreams, Black."

"Going back to last names now? I thought we were dating."

"We're not dating!"

"Oh yes, that's right, that'd be silly," he sneered.

Sirius placed himself between the two of you, his head turning left and right.

"Fine, you aren't dating, I can see that." Sirius said angrily, "But what's going on? Why are you here?"

"I didn't want to be there anymore," Regulus mumbled, looking at the ground. It wasn't exactly an explanation but you were glad to see his brother laugh with relief.

"Fuc — cover your ears Mrs. Potter, I'm going to swear — fucking finally!" Sirius said loudly, then dropped to his knees and hugged Regulus. "I knew you weren't like them, I knew it! I'm proud of you, okay?"

"Let's not get carried away, I could still hate your guts," Regulus replied, though you noticed his bright eyes. He wasn't used to affection, but that didn't mean he didn't crave it.

Sirius only laughed as he pulled apart. "Still doesn't explain how you know Y/N though."

"I climbed up to his room," you added unhelpfully. On seeing all the shocked faces, you waved it off. "It's a long story."

-

The next few days were awkward for Regulus but fun for you. He didn't have many clothes, which meant you took him muggle shopping, and Merlin, he fell down the elevator more times than you could count. Anything you picked looked good on him too, which made you scowl. What was the point of shopping if not for trying out ridiculous outfits?

Finally, you found a brand that'd be both comfortable and stylish.

He said he was good with fashion and could take care of it himself, but you pointed towards the cash counter.

"See that computer?"

"What's a computer?"

"Not relevant, but I was making a point. You need me."

He didn't object any longer, but an adorable frown appeared on his face.

Time flew and the two of you became closer than ever, and by the time you had to leave for Hogwarts, you even had inside jokes with him.

On the last day, he was leaning against the door of your room and watching you pack your stuff in a hurry when he felt an unexplainable tug on his heart. Hogwarts was more dangerous than ever, especially for you. Maybe he'd be in the same danger too, because he practically ran away like Sirius. A part of him didn't want to go back.

"Stop staring, it's creepy." You said, looking under your bed for the rest of your books, though it was just an excuse for him to not see the blush creeping up your neck.

"What are you looking for?" He asked, ignoring your comment.

"I'm not sure," you sighed, sitting on the bed. "I'm going to miss this place."

"Never thought I'd say this, but me too. Do you think the Mr. and Mrs. Potter will be okay with the war coming up and everything?"

"I hope so." Your eyes were fixed on his. "Do you think we'll be okay?"

He walked inside the room and sat down beside you, taking your hand and squeezing it tightly. The warmth made your skin tingle. He looked up from the intertwined fingers and met your eyes, and you felt your heart miss a beat. He was looking at you like he looked at the stars - wistfully and full of love.

"We have each other right?" He asked softly. "We'll be okay."

You rested your head on his chest and he eased into the position, with his own head meeting the top of yours. Both of you were too tired to fight, act surprised or act as if you didn't want to stay as close as you did, so only silence remained.

Mrs. Potter was passing by when she saw this, and a knowing smile emerged on her face.

"Spring wedding," she murmured under her breath.