70. (MCU) Shang Chi - Tender

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

word count: 1.1k

warnings: description of blood, wounds

-----

"Baby."

The smile that had reached his face as soon as he realized you were home quickly faltered once he turned around to see you standing by the door, bruises and deep cuts coating your visible skin as you swayed in your spot.

He felt his heart drop to his stomach and the coffee mug that he had been holding slipped from his hand and shattered across the floor.

He quickly rushed to your side just before your legs gave out, catching you in his arms in just enough time before you met the cold floor.

"I got you, I got you," He assured you, guiding you over to your bed. "What happened, Y/n? Who did this to you?"

Wiping blood from your nose as Shang-Chi lowered you onto the bed, you shook your head before falling back against the soft pillows.

"I took care of it Shang-Chi." You said, as your swollen eyes fluttered shut. "It's over."

His jaw clenched as he shook his head, pushing himself up from the bed to pace around the tiny loft.

"They have to pay for this, Y/n." He said. "I-I'm not going to let them get away with this."

You understood why Shang-Chi was overprotective- he had had to guard himself and his emotions from a young age- never mind the fact that he had lost his mother in such a brutal way, but you were an Avenger. You chose this life and at the end of the day you knew you could handle it- with a few scars to match of course.

It was endearing to know how much your boyfriend cared, but it was over and you knew vengeance would get neither of you anywhere.

"No," You said, your voice soft and fragile. "Shang-Chi I don't want revenge- I just want you."

Shang-Chi stopped as he heard what you said, your voice faltering all the while. He turned back to you as he saw you weak and lying in bed, your hand reaching out for him in your lowest moment.

He kicked himself for allowing his emotions to take control of him- for his hatred to blind him from seeing the task that was right in front of him- taking care of you when you needed him most.

He swore he could've cried, hearing your vulnerable self want nothing more than for him to be by your side.

"You're right," he said, making his way back over to the bed, taking your bloodied hand in is. "I'm sorry. I- I don't know what came over me... I just.... I hate seeing you in so much pain, Y/n."

"I know, baby." You whispered, tugging his hand closer towards you before wrapping your arms around him, holding him gently in your embrace. "But I'm okay. I'm here, Shang-Chi. I'm here."

Shang-Chi held you in his arms, trying his best to not squeeze you too tightly because a part of him feared you would shatter under the pressure.

Pressing one soft kiss against your cheek, your boyfriend pulled away from you, holding you at arm's length.

"Let's get you changed."

Not one to argue in your state, you let your boyfriend unzip the suit you were in and moved with him as he tenderly slipped the sleeves off from around your shoulders and pulled it down your legs. Tugging off your boots, he threw them onto the floor by your bed and laid your suit on the chair in the corner.

"I'll be right back." He told you.

You listened as his footsteps padded out of the room and into the nearby bathroom. When he returned, he came with a damp wash cloth in his hand and seated himself on the edge of the bed once again.

He tenderly took your hand in his, examining your bloodied knuckles and when the cloth met your open wounds, you sucked in your breath.

"Sorry, it might sting a little." He apologized, patting your skin gently.

"S' okay." You mumbled, watching him work.

"You know," He said, focused on his motions as he cleaned you up. "My dad used to do this for me."

Glancing up at his face as he switched your hands, you had to admit you were a bit shocked.

You had known that his father hadn't always treated Shang-Chi the way he did after his mother died, but it was almost hard for you to believe that a man who treated his son in such a way could ever be gentle.

"Really?" You asked.

Shang-Chi only nodded, his eyes not yet meeting yours.

"That's the thing about my dad," He said, pulling the cloth away from your hand. "He could be nice when he wanted to."

Even through swollen, bruised eyes, you watched your boyfriend's focused face as he concentrated on taking care of you. Even in moments like these, you couldn't help but feel your heart swell in your chest knowing that you had somehow been blessed with the most perfect person in the world. As you admired his features, highlighted by the warm glow of the lamp on your night stand and felt his his fingertips as they brushed against your skin while cleaning you up, you knew you couldn't have even imagined him if you tried.

"Thank you." You said as he pulled the cloth away from your skin for the last time.

"For what?" He asked, standing up and grabbing one of his t-shirts off of the dresser.

"For taking care of me."

You watched as your boyfriend rolled his eyes and smiled.

"You don't have to thank me, Y/n." He said, helping you into his t-shirt, raising up your arms slowly as to not hurt you. "I love you. Besides," He chuckled as your head popped out from the hole at the top the shirt and he kissed your cheek. "You've cleaned me up more times than I can count. It's nice to help you for a change."

Left speechless, you only smiled up at your boyfriend.

"Let's get some sleep, okay?"

Shang-Chi then switched off the lamp at your side and climbed into bed beside you, draping his arm over your torso.

"If you need anything, wake me up, okay?" He asked, laying down next to you, his hot breath against your neck.

"I will, baby."

"Promise?" He asked.

Allowing the exhaustion to finally take over you, you shut your eyes and smiled.

"I promise."